PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Who sets up phone/internet on a new build?

Options
Hi all

I am set to be the very first resident at a new build estate near Cramlington. I just had a call from the builder stating that despite earlier assurances BT had not done the requisite cabeling to get phone service from the date we move in. I get the impression that the estate itself is wired up, but that Opernreach haven't physically connected the estate to their network.

Can anyone advise on what the process is for this? Do I need to call openreach to get them to do something or is it the builder?

I'm a little disappointed with the builder right now. Admittedly they may be somewhat at the mercy of external providers, they had promised that both Virgin would be offering service as well as BT. Now that we have exchanged it turns out that is not the case

Any advice on how to get service ASAP would be appreciated

S

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What does BT's checker say if you enter the postcode?

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/speed-checker/
  • sh856531
    sh856531 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »

Well thats possible but the builder won't likely be in a hurry to admit to that. I'm just keen to make sure that there is no further delay if there is something I can do personally to make Openreach act sooner. I also just wanted to make sure that it wasn't actually my responsibilty to notify them as the first resident.

The property is so new it doesn't even seem to have a postcode assigned in the Royal Mail database, which isn't helping matters when speaking to phone companies and the like :-/

S
  • BeckyAP
    BeckyAP Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I'm going through this at the minute. Here's what I know -
    The property must be registered with both the Royal Mail and Openreach.
    The Royal Mail registering you can do yourself online.
    Openreach I'm having more trouble with...I know I've got fibre to the home, seen the little openreach box in the cupboard and everything but they haven't registered my address.
    When I speak to someone like Zen or BT about getting internet in, they say they can't do anything until the address has been registered with openreach.
    I've used their newbuild form again today to try and get them to regsiter the address but until those two bits are done, you won't get internet!
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Openreach are a nightmare to deal with. We had to wait 6 weeks to get phone and Internet in, as we had no postcode, we were the first house in anew development, Openreach would do nothing.
  • Captain89
    Captain89 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Took us 5 weeks to get our line connected and that was after we sent a letter to the CEO of BT. They are the worst when dealing with a new line. Openreach would not talk to us. They only deal with the service provider.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    Off topic: This wouldn't happen to be the Avant homes estate on the old Wilkinson sword factory behind the train station would it?

Small world...
  • JWM73
    JWM73 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We moved into a new build property in Feb 2018. We took our Sky broadband and TV with us. 3 days before we moved we were told there would be a delay on the landline and broadband.

4 months later after hundreds of calls and emails we are still waiting. Just veen told 5km of cable needs laying and the work is only planned in to start in another 8 days. It will be 5 months before we are any closer to having broadband.

Sky have been awful and I have raised a dispute with CSAS. I wrote to my MP (useless), Watchdog (no reply), BT Openreach (some updates on work but mostly they say go to service provider). At the end of my tether completely!!
  • JWM73
    JWM73 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We moved into a new build property in Feb 2018. We took our Sky broadband and TV with us. 3 days before we moved we were told there would be a delay on the landline and broadband.

4 months later after hundreds of calls and emails we are still waiting. Just been told 5km of cable needs laying and the work is only planned in to start in another 8 days. It will be 5 months before we are any closer to having broadband.

Sky have been awful and I have raised a dispute with CSAS. I wrote to my MP (useless), Watchdog (no reply), BT Openreach (some updates on work but mostly they say go to service provider). At the end of my tether completely!!
  • Jane_B
    Jane_B Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    You need to contact open reach. Same happened to us, my husband works from home so not having internet for 4 weeks after moving in caused us tonnes of stress and expense. Taylor Wimpey had done all they could so to speak, it was the network provider or the one laying the fibre cabling who had to finish it up and connect the final bits our end. Which has to be done once the build is completed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure