Food Intolerance Tests?

Comments

• Athravan
    Athravan Posts: 122
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well, I have had a good week thinking about it. I've just paid for the £250 113 food york intolerance test.. It will put my mind at rest at least.. although I paid for it out of the wedding savings account, but my OH thinks it's important too, and the wedding's not for 18 months.

I talked to the GP - I've had 2 blood tests for coeliac and it was fine, my flexible sigmoidoscopy was fine, and although I haven't had the results of my biopsy yet, it seems unlikely that there is anything wrong that would be causing my IBS, bloating, reflux, indigiestion, chronic tiredness and muscles aching... I've had every test under the sun, and I take all the recommended vitamins by my doctor, and probiotics.. so I think this is my last hope!
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Good luck angel - let us know how you get on. Congratulations for the wedding.
    Tiff :)
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I went to a chinese shop in Bluewater and had a piece of my hair snipped off and sent for analysis to see what could be causing my bloating probs. I didnt TELL them what my probs were - I thought if they were that clever they could work it out for themselves. It cost £35 and has come back 2 weeks later with a medium reaction to several items - most of them are things I never eat. They have supposedly tested for about 150 different things plus also searched for vitamin and mineral deficiencies and also fungal overgrowth, parasites, insufficient drinking water. I dont know how accurate it is. I was just desperate. The only things that I do use that I have a reaction to are: chicken, toothpaste, fluoride, benzoate preservatives and MSG. The rest are: apricots, marmite, oranges, grapes, ice cream, crisps, chilli peppers, dill and coffee. As I said, I never knowingly touch any of these. It did come up as medium reaction to caffeine, but not tea. Not sure what to make of that. Also, it doesnt specify which ingredients I am allergic to in toothpaste so I am a tad suspicious of that. To be honest, I was expecting to be told I had a reaction to bread or dairy but neither has shown up so I am now assuming that the bloating must be down to chicken ,which I ate on a virtually daily basis, and possibly the benzoate preservatives. Who Knows?
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ellie - I think our toothpaste has fluoride in as standard now, so if you have a reaction to fluroide, you are likely to have a reaction to standard toothpaste.

You can get fluroide free toothpastes from health food shops.

x x
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Murtle wrote:
    ellie - I think our toothpaste has fluoride in as standard now, so if you have a reaction to fluroide, you are likely to have a reaction to standard toothpaste.

You can get fluroide free toothpastes from health food shops.

x x

Yes, somebody mentioned that Boots do one as well. BUT why mention that I am allergic to caffeine but not tea if you are going to mention fluouride AND toothpaste? By their logic, there must be something else in toothpaste that I am allergic to.
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I did the York tests some years ago and came back as intolerant to just about everything. I ended up disregarding their advice and worked out that it's wheat that sets me off. Got to organise a coeliac test though.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It could be that is was a medium reaction and tea has a lot less caffeine then coffee so you can drink tea but not coffee or other high caffeinated drinks?

I don't know really just thinking aloud, googled these links

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/nutrition/drinks_caff.shtml

http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine
  • Athravan
    Forumite
    I have high intolerance to caffeine but it affects me for all - soda, tea, and coffee make me run to the bathroom within 5 mins of drinking it... and to a certain extent, chocolate too, depending how much i eat and if it's dark or milk. If the caffeine in tea doesn't affect you perhaps its because the caffeine is too low, or maybe it's not caffeine that's affecting you in coffee but something else? Not sure sorry.. but I sympathise!
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Have you had your results back yet ? I was wondering if the york test was any good.
  • Athravan
    Forumite
    Results came back today - I think some of it is fairly accurate, I certainly knew I was highly intolerant to caffeine and that was spot on. I also knew that I am mildly lactose intolerant, but only If i drink say a whole litre of milk in a day (which I used to do!), and that is in the "mild reaction, rotate" group which also seems accurate.

I feared that I had wheat intolerance as my IBS seems to be worse on days when I eat a lot of bread and it got worse when I changed my lunch to wheat-wraps, which I then switched back. Yeast +3 and Wheat +1 seems like a fairly accurate result.

I am going to, as they advise to do, try and cut out of my diet the +4 and +3, as t hat is only coffee and yeast, and I do not drink coffee as I'm aware of my caffeine intolerance, that leaves yeast.. As a whole egg combined is also +3 for me, I will cut out eggs. Im going to try buying wheat free bread and pasta from Tesco and see if that also makes a difference. It will be a few weeks before I can report back on whether this really does help me at all... I will also take these results to my GP on my next appointment and see what he says.

If I don't notice a significant improvement in my IBS/Health after a few weeks I will also try and cut down some of the +1's but I'd rather do it slowly and see what improvements different foods make. Now I have a comparitively small (compared to the full range of 113 food groups they test for) list of foods, I think I will find it a lot easier to start an elimination diet. Having these results will also give me the motivation to realise that what I put into my body is harming it and it's for my own good.. it's sometimes hard to get started on a vague suspicion that something might hurt. For me, confirmation is a great source of motivation.

Full results:

Red:

+4
    Coffee

+3
    Yeast

+2
    Egg White
    Kiwi

+1
    Wheat
    Egg Yolk