Need help with HMRC services I should register for

Hello. I came to the UK a year ago with an Entrepreneur visa. I started a limited company and at first I registered it with Companies House. As for registering with HMRC, I didn't do the process myself. What I know for sure is that I have a government gateway account and I can use the Corporation Tax service. My question is, as a director of a limited company, should I enrol for the Self Assessment service as well? And another question, my visa requires hiring people, but I haven't hired anyone yet. Should I enrol for the PAYE now or when I've actually hired someone? Thanks.

Comments

• chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    I think you should hire an accountant or you'll get into a muddle. As for your specifics:

1. You may need to register for self-assessment depending on your tax residency status and other income. No-one, including me, can answer this on the basis of your post. It is not UK law that a director must register for SA.

2. You should apply for the PAYE employer reference when you first hire someone. Depending on your tax position and status, it may be optimal to apply now and put through your director's salary. Again, there is at this stage insufficient information in the post to give advice on this.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport