Npower or SSE?

2»

Comments

• footyguy wrote: »
    Out of interest, what were those numbers (and other details) you crunched?

14000kwh gas
    2000kwh elec
    No E7/IGT
    They live in Hampshire.
    Included cashback (although not guaranteed I know)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »

I am currently debating how much I would need to save to make it worthwhile switching supplier, given the hassle it can be. So far the best saving I can make is £17 per year for dual fuel; just not worth it, is it?

I had a situation,2 years ago, where the saving was £6. However, even these savings are not guaranteed, as you never use exactly the same amount of energy each year.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 June 2017 at 10:06AM
    14000kwh gas
    2000kwh elec
    No E7/IGT
    They live in Hampshire.
    Included cashback (although not guaranteed I know)

I've crunched those numbers and had to look a long way down the list to find either nPower or SSE :huh:

So I think the answer to your OP is neither :)

nPower comes out at £793 pa and SSE £794pa (less possible cashback)

Or you could simply go for Oneselect Secure 1 Year Fixed
    or Green Network Energy GNE Italian Touch 12 Month Fixed V6 both at £753pa (and no need to worry about possible cashback)

Or if you really wanted cashback (as it seems you are doing this for someone else :cool: ) then why not Toto TOTO Discount Variable Saver at £781 pa ?

Or if you were to go seperately (and want possible cashback) then:
    Gas - daligas daligas One Fix Spring 17 @ £462pa
    Electricity - Bristol Energy My Local Tariff 1 Year Fix Issue 6 Paperless Bill £312 pa
    Total - only £774 pa (less possible cashback for each)

Source: energyhelpline

Personally, I would take MSE Martin's advice and not base any decision on possible cashback

Otherwise, I think it has to be nPower as quidco offer £60 possible cashback, whereas it's only £46.50 for SSE (so really not worth the risk based on other options available)
    If you are using quidco, don't forget their highest cashback guarantee ;)

What confuses me is that you start off talking about cost, then in post#7 you say you are "asking from a customer service/experience point of view" and now you are considering possible cashback in your decision making process, it seems it's all about the money again... :huh:
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 June 2017 at 7:14PM
    footyguy wrote: »
    I've crunched those numbers and had to look a long way down the list to find either nPower or SSE :huh:

So I think the answer to your OP is neither :)

nPower comes out at £793 pa and SSE £794pa (less possible cashback)

Or you could simply go for Oneselect Secure 1 Year Fixed
    or Green Network Energy GNE Italian Touch 12 Month Fixed V6 both at £753pa (and no need to worry about possible cashback)

Or if you really wanted cashback (as it seems you are doing this for someone else :cool: ) then why not Toto TOTO Discount Variable Saver at £781 pa ?

Or if you were to go seperately (and want possible cashback) then:
    Gas - daligas daligas One Fix Spring 17 @ £462pa
    Electricity - Bristol Energy My Local Tariff 1 Year Fix Issue 6 Paperless Bill £312 pa
    Total - only £774 pa (less possible cashback for each)

Source: energyhelpline

Personally, I would take MSE Martin's advice and not base any decision on possible cashback

Otherwise, I think it has to be nPower as quidco offer £60 possible cashback, whereas it's only £46.50 for SSE (so really not worth the risk based on other options available)
    If you are using quidco, don't forget their highest cashback guarantee ;)

What confuses me is that you start off talking about cost, then in post#7 you say you are "asking from a customer service/experience point of view" and now you are considering possible cashback in your decision making process, it seems it's all about the money again... :huh:

Yes, I'm doing it for someone else. Cashback is for them, not me! :D

Npower is £733 with cashback
    SSE is £748 with cashback (or £746)

Both cheaper than the £753 or £781 (or £751 with cashback)

I appreciate cashback shouldn't be relied upon and, that without it, yes of course £753/781 is cheaper than £793/794, but the couple I'm switching for aren't keen on switching to a company they've not heard of (although could possibly be persuaded if it was a large saving) and so are happy to take the risk with the cashback, especially since if it does come through, then it is cheaper overall. They paid £675 for the last 12 months and the nearest to switch to within EDF is £987, so trying to save them as much money as possible without switching them to a company they are not comfortable with :)

So.....with them having decided on Npower or SSE or waiting, that's why I was only asking from a customer service point of view, which company (or both) others would recommend or avoid and that is what I have received both here and via PM, so I've received the responses I was looking for, thanks :)
  • snoman
    snoman Posts: 44 Forumite
    Similar situation here. Been with EDF for a couple of years and with Npower (what a disaster!) before. Have been happy with EDF until being presented with a ludicrous price increase, despite wholesale energy costs barely changing over several years. Have had a much better quote from SSE, so will probably give them a try.
  • snoman
    Have now managed to get a much better quote from EDF, so staying with them.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Snoman - would be interested to know what tariff at EDF you got - checked at the weekend and their cheapest tariff is £250 a year more expensive for me - currently on Blue+Price Promise July 2017.
    Can't understand their per unit price this year as leccy is up by 44% and gas by 59% against my current deal, which I only took up last year, although daily charges are the same. Cheapest EDF I can find is 14.95p per kWh electric and 3.052p per kWh gas (compared to my current 10.38p and 1.905p respectively).
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BigPhil1474, those new prices suck compared to several I can get now, notably from EDF, nPower and the Co-op. It does depend on where you are in the country, of course but hope you find a better deal than that. I, too am loathe to let go of my current, very good tariff but it also ends in July so needs must. Good tariff hunting.
  • snoman
    Snoman - would be interested to know what tariff at EDF you got - checked at the weekend and their cheapest tariff is £250 a year more expensive for me - currently on Blue+Price Promise July 2017.
    Can't understand their per unit price this year as leccy is up by 44% and gas by 59% against my current deal, which I only took up last year, although daily charges are the same. Cheapest EDF I can find is 14.95p per kWh electric and 3.052p per kWh gas (compared to my current 10.38p and 1.905p respectively).
    My new tariff is: "Simply Fixed Aug 18" arranged via the recent Daily Telegraph Big Energy Switch.

Elec: 12.432p and Gas: 2.885p.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2017 at 4:04PM
    Without knowing the standing charges, if any it is difficult to make a meaningful comparison but I can do better than that on the unit charges with nPower and Bristol Energy, that I know of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure