PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Former tenant now wants bond back, advice please?

124»

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I was going to say, OP's husband telling them that they want to deal directly with their solicitor might have come across as a bit antagonistic.

I think - and its just an opinion - the OP and her husband said that with the suspicion that the tenants wont have a solicitor as it's too expensive.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The question of (tenant's) legal costs was raised some posts back.

Another reason to return the deposit in full asap. That will stop any costs rising further. Hopefully, too, it will satisfy the tenants and be the end of the matter.

Any drawing out of the matter is likely to simpy increase the legal costs the tenants might claim eg

* negotiating deductions
    * returning 50% (or whatever)of the deposit
    * corresponding with the solicitor (£100 per letter they read?)

Swallow your pride, take the loss on the chin & ring this to an end asap
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    The question of (tenant's) legal costs was raised some posts back.

Another reason to return the deposit in full asap. That will stop any costs rising further. Hopefully, too, it will satisfy the tenants and be the end of the matter.

Any drawing out of the matter is likely to simpy increase the legal costs the tenants might claim eg

* negotiating deductions
    * returning 50% (or whatever)of the deposit
    * corresponding with the solicitor (£100 per letter they read?)

Swallow your pride, take the loss on the chin & ring this to an end asap

This depends on how they intend to claim the money back if it's through the small claims court (likely) I didn't think they could claim costs?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    aneary wrote: »
    This depends on how they intend to claim the money back if it's through the small claims court (likely) I didn't think they could claim costs?

the penalty cannot be claimed via SCC - some costs can still be claimed at small claims
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AdrianC

I am not refusing anything and I'm not sure what makes you think that. I have thanked people for their help, however I have never understood why some people feel the need to post comments which are not intended to be helpful at all and I will leave it at that.

Sometimes you have to give "tough love" and hopefully help you and others in the future and lessons learnt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure