Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SAB89
    • By SAB89 17th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SAB89
    Rental Deposit Nightmare - Any Ideas?
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    Rental Deposit Nightmare - Any Ideas? 17th Jul 17 at 7:30 PM
    Hello all!

I'm a newbie here so treat me kindly

I have an issue with my old landlord who is currently holding my deposit (in a protected scheme).

My wife and I handed the keys over, the letting agent on behalf of the landlord took the keys and they said they wanted to take £150 off the deposit for works within the flat, despite it being in good condition with the majority of it coming from fair wear-and-tear.

We said we wouldn't pay that and then we negotiated a settlement of £100.

On the 10th day, when we were expecting to receive the money as stated in the legal guidelines, they have said they want to take a further £60 from the deposit despite already agreeing the initial £100. We have had no reasons in writing as to why they want to raise the fee taken from the deposit.

Can they legally do this after agreeing a settlement already?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 17th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    Just complain to the deposit protection people. They might give it all back to you if it's fair wear and tear
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 41,081 Posts
    • 47,195 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    Was the £100 agreed in writing?

Either way, if you don't want to pay the extra £60 then raise a dispute.

Read

* Deposits: payment, protection and return
    • SAB89
    • By SAB89 17th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SAB89
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    Not in a formal letter; we have a text message from them saying that they would charge £100 which we agreed to - I thought that would constitute a contract within itself?

If all else fails it looks like the dispute track is looming.

Thanks for the responses :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin