Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 0ciar01
    • By 0ciar01 3rd Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    0ciar01
    Income reduction in IVA
    • 3rd Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    Income reduction in IVA 3rd Jul 17 at 5:45 PM
    Hi
    I was hoping someone could help me. Myself and my husband have only recently been approved for an IVA. We have made 1 payment so far and tax credits have reassessed us ans reduced our award by over £800 per month (i think we no longer qualify for childcare help). Anyway before the IVA was approved our surplus was £700 per month, we stressed that this would change as we suspected tax credits would reduce.
    IVA firm said yes just ring when you find out what new awars will be.
    We are now in position of putting payments on hold as our surplus will be in and around £250.
    Can someone clarify if this would mean the IVa eill have to be extended past the 5/6 years or would the IVA be recalculated? Sorry for the ramble
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    • 11,954 Posts
    • 11,444 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    Hi,

For such a big difference in payments, this would most likely have to go to a creditors meeting for agreement, if its passed, its also likely the IVA would end up running for 6 years rather than 5.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    Hi Ociar01 and welcome to MSE,

You need to talk to your IVA provider and check the terms and conditions of what you signed - you may be extremely lucky and find you are able to cancel within a cooling off period - but this would be rare I am afraid.

You should also talk to your IVA provider and see what they can do to help, especially as you made them aware of this risk before the IVA began. This would likely require a new creditors meeting as the reduction is so large and if it is agreeable then the IVA may start again. You may need to sign a new agreement so would need to check the term carefully.

However, please be careful about starting a new IVA so quickly. The calculations you have listed don't seem to add up. If your IVA payments were £700 per month, and your tax credits have reduced by £800 per month, you may find it very tight to pay £250 per month into an IVA - so check this is the right option before signing anything new. There can be consequences to IVA's failing and if you have a property or large assets this can be more of an issue as there is a risk of bankruptcy. If you are a homeowner I would suggest you call one of the free debt charities for advice ASAP. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

3,939Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin