Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 12:30 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 206Thanks
    samo8076
    CMS Payments, what effects them?
    • 8th Dec 16, 12:30 PM
    CMS Payments, what effects them? 8th Dec 16 at 12:30 PM
    Hi,

The CMS have been in touch about a case between myself and my ex. She wants to move the case to them instead of sorting something out between ourselves, therefore prompting an income review on my part.

I have had a pay rise in the last year, but I have also a significant mortgage and other financial commitments (loans for example).

My question is will they take my mortgage and other commitments into consideration, or just expect me to pay according to my gross weekly salary as outlined on the Government Website?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 8th Dec 16, 1:13 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    MataNui
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:13 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:13 PM
    CMS is gross weekly. Old CSA would take into account Mortgage and other things.

There is a calculator on the CMS website you can use to get an idea of your liability.
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 1:22 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:22 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:22 PM
    CMS is gross weekly. Old CSA would take into account Mortgage and other things.

There is a calculator on the CMS website you can use to get an idea of your liability.
    Originally posted by MataNui
    just found it. This is scandalous. After receiving letters from the CSA explaining they were closing/moving my case, they asked me how I wanted to proceed with future payments which I said I would like to arrange direct payments on a mutual agreement with the mother, however, she has opened the case with the CMS, which now seems to have forced my hand. I only last week received a letter from the CSA asking me for my bank details and contact details for the mother to discuss with me.

What on earth do I do??
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 8th Dec 16, 1:27 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,748 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:27 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:27 PM
    just found it. This is scandalous. After receiving letters from the CSA explaining they were closing/moving my case, they asked me how I wanted to proceed with future payments which I said I would like to arrange direct payments on a mutual agreement with the mother, however, she has opened the case with the CMS, which now seems to have forced my hand. I only last week received a letter from the CSA asking me for my bank details and contact details for the mother to discuss with me.

What on earth do I do??
    Originally posted by samo8076

Well pay what you should?

Clearly you couldn't mutually agree because you are trying to pay below the MINIMUM....
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 1:30 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:30 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:30 PM
    Well pay what you should?

Clearly you couldn't mutually agree because you are trying to pay below the MINIMUM....
    Originally posted by Guest101

I wanted to come to a mutual agreement and going through the CSA suggested that was going to be the case, but to have the CMS forced upon me without a reason is unfair.

I have ALWAYS paid on time EVERY time and what the correct amount should be.

I will of course pay the adjusted reviewed amount, but like i said, i have more outgoings now than before the pay rise, so in essence, i will be left with no disposable income.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 8th Dec 16, 1:42 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,748 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:42 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 1:42 PM

I wanted to come to a mutual agreement and going through the CSA suggested that was going to be the case, but to have the CMS forced upon me without a reason is unfair.

I have ALWAYS paid on time EVERY time and what the correct amount should be.

I will of course pay the adjusted reviewed amount, but like i said, i have more outgoings now than before the pay rise, so in essence, i will be left with no disposable income.

The reason is two fold:
    1: you couldn't mutually agree
    2: what you were suggesting was below the MINIMUM required.

as to your other problem, if you cant afford it, sell up, move into rented accommodation and make it work. You cant have more outgoings than before unless you over extended yourself, and that's not your child(ren)s fault is it?
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 2:08 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    • 8th Dec 16, 2:08 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 2:08 PM
    I have tried to get in touch with the mother through CSA but she has not responded.

The problem is going from net to gross
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 8th Dec 16, 2:09 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    MataNui
    • 8th Dec 16, 2:09 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 2:09 PM
    Depending what scheme you were originally on the difference can be eye watering to say the least.
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 2:10 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    • 8th Dec 16, 2:10 PM
    • 8th Dec 16, 2:10 PM
    Well yes it is.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 8th Dec 16, 2:42 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,748 Thanks
    Guest101
    It's simple, can you afford to pay according to the minimum amounts set by CMS?
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 7:59 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    Nope I can't
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 8th Dec 16, 8:12 PM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    DUTR
    Nope I can't
    Well you can, it's the rest of the budget you have to re-adjust to compensate for the increase in CS contributions.
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 8:23 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    Well you can, it's the rest of the budget you have to re-adjust to compensate for the increase in CS contributions.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    Yeah it's ok, I didn't want to eat or have a roof over my head. I can afford a Net but not gross pay. I will speak to them tomorrow and let anybody who is in the same position know.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 8th Dec 16, 8:52 PM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    DUTR
    Yeah it's ok, I didn't want to eat or have a roof over my head. I can afford a Net but not gross pay. I will speak to them tomorrow and let anybody who is in the same position know.
    You miss the point, whilst you fight you will always lose.
    You won't lose your home, the loans thing....well that's where the re-budgetting has to take place and it can work to your advantage in the long run.
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 8th Dec 16, 9:27 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    You miss the point, whilst you fight you will always lose.
    You won't lose your home, the loans thing....well that's where the re-budgetting has to take place and it can work to your advantage in the long run.
    How is it an advantage?
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 9th Dec 16, 1:28 AM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    DUTR
    How is it an advantage?
    It's an advantage because you re-evaluate your budgeting, I ended up managing to pay my mortgage off very early, keep your head up high, as there are those that like to see you squirm, the time soon passes and you'll still be young enough and hopefully healthy enough to enjoy life once your liability ends.
    Ya sort of feel guilty once the liabilty ends, I'm still spending October's salary
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 9th Dec 16, 8:56 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    It's an advantage because you re-evaluate your budgeting, I ended up managing to pay my mortgage off very early, keep your head up high, as there are those that like to see you squirm, the time soon passes and you'll still be young enough and hopefully healthy enough to enjoy life once your liability ends.
    Ya sort of feel guilty once the liabilty ends, I'm still spending October's salary
    Thats a good spin. Thanks, and glad youve had some positive outcome with it all.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 9th Dec 16, 10:19 AM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,748 Thanks
    Guest101
    Nope I can't
    Then it's time to sell and move to a cheaper place to live.
    • samo8076
    • By samo8076 9th Dec 16, 10:26 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    samo8076
    Then it's time to sell and move to a cheaper place to live.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Yeah think I will go to a shared home, sell all my belongings and just give up yah? You my friend don't know the full story, just assume because the government say so that it's right??????? Idiot.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 9th Dec 16, 11:50 AM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,748 Thanks
    Guest101
    Yeah think I will go to a shared home, sell all my belongings and just give up yah? You my friend don't know the full story, just assume because the government say so that it's right??????? Idiot.

You seem to think you have a choice....

Let me remove that from your mind right now.

Either you pay what you are required to support YOUR children, or the CMS will collect it from your wages and charge you for the privilege. So it'll cost you MORE.

CMS rules have been around for years, should've been aware of them.

Your 'story' is largely irrelevant, the facts are: you either have a child(ren), or you don't. If you do, you need to pay according to the law.

Your morals aren't even in question here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

2,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin