Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 523Thanks
    fudge7000
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?
    • 1st May 16, 7:23 PM
    Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me? 1st May 16 at 7:23 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

Page 1
    • chris_m
    • By chris_m 1st May 16, 7:43 PM
    • 5,710 Posts
    • 19,381 Thanks
    chris_m
    • 1st May 16, 7:43 PM
    • 1st May 16, 7:43 PM
    I cheated - bought my house first, then cleared/tidied/tarted up the flat for selling
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 1st May 16, 8:06 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 18,975 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    • 1st May 16, 8:06 PM
    • 1st May 16, 8:06 PM
    Anyone else out there selling and going through trying to keep the house tidy 24/7 so it doesn't take hours to sort out when there's a viewing?!
    Along with trying to second guess what the people viewing will do/offer/not offer...?

Only been for sale a week, I assume it just gets worse from here on in?

Not really done this before so thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat!
    Originally posted by fudge7000
    Yes and with 2 teenage sons it's very stressful. I think they hate their awful nagging mum at the moment!
    Been on the market 3 weeks.
    One viewer wants it but needs to sell hers first so fingers crossed.

The boot of my car has become a very useful storage place to put stuff when we have viewings!
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 1st May 16, 8:17 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 27,449 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    • 1st May 16, 8:17 PM
    • 1st May 16, 8:17 PM
    Not a viewer in sight here!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st May 16, 8:20 PM
    • 60,671 Posts
    • 354,703 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 1st May 16, 8:20 PM
    • 1st May 16, 8:20 PM
    Most viewings for most properties are in the first two weeks ... in a perfect/planned world you'd declutter everything into a self-storage container, book a 2 week holiday and leave the keys with the agent
    • GaggingOrder
    • By GaggingOrder 1st May 16, 9:04 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    GaggingOrder
    • 1st May 16, 9:04 PM
    • 1st May 16, 9:04 PM
    As long as you're waiting for a buyer, it doesn't get any better I'm afraid. I'm doing the same thing with 2 kids under 3 and tidying constantly is a nightmare. The market in my area, around our price point, has really slowed since the start of the year. We've been on the market since early Feb and not had much luck: a couple of people have strung us along a bit before going cold. We dropped the price to reflect the changing market and that's brought in a bit more interest, and one offer which unfortunately isn't proceedable or high enough. We keep going! And we're hopeful that the new price and the warming weather will bring a change in fortunes... Otherwise I'm going to wear my hoover out! ��
    • Money saving maniac
    • By Money saving maniac 1st May 16, 10:31 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    Money saving maniac
    • 1st May 16, 10:31 PM
    • 1st May 16, 10:31 PM
    Urgh just put mine on the market. Currently doing a bit of painting to tittivate and a lot of decluttering. We are cluttery people

Got 2 viewings booked for next Saturday, I dont have a hope in hell of making mine look like an empty showhome,which appears to be the norm these days!!!
    • Malmo
    • By Malmo 2nd May 16, 12:16 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    Malmo
    • 2nd May 16, 12:16 AM
    Duplicate thread
    • 2nd May 16, 12:16 AM
    There's already a thread for sellers waiting for a buyer. I'd suggest there's no need for another one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5223309
    • iantojones40
    • By iantojones40 2nd May 16, 8:15 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    iantojones40
    • 2nd May 16, 8:15 AM
    • 2nd May 16, 8:15 AM
    Not a viewer in sight here!
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    People don't tend to waste their time viewing obviously overpriced properties.
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 2nd May 16, 1:53 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    fudge7000
    I didn't resurrect the thread that's over a year old, thought it was better to just start a new one...
    I've had 3 viewings now, first people couldn't afford it, second didn't think it was 'child friendly' (pond, big steps in garden i think) and third yet to get feedback from

I can't imagine doing it with children, it's bad enough bugging my other half to put stuff away!
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)

• GaggingOrder
    • By GaggingOrder 2nd May 16, 3:14 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    GaggingOrder
    It's tough when we're trying to get the house tidy for viewings and the toddler decides he wants to get all his stuff out! I suppose there's never a good time though to go through it (which is why we're hoping to move to something we can live in for 30 years!).

Fingers crossed you're not waiting long.
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 2nd May 16, 9:18 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    fudge7000
    Same to you, am on nights this week, so kind of hoping not to have viewings in one way...!

• Money saving maniac
    • By Money saving maniac 3rd May 16, 1:47 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    Money saving maniac
    Most viewings for most properties are in the first two weeks ... in a perfect/planned world you'd declutter everything into a self-storage container, book a 2 week holiday and leave the keys with the agent
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Well I can't go away for 2 weeks but I've taken your advice and am booking a self storage tomorrow.
    It seems stupidly wasteful but I think really it is an investment. Our house has no storage and as it is small it doesn't really have anywhere you could place cupboards. So really it makes sense to put our stuff into storage and make the house look minimalist.

Thanks for the tip!!
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 3rd May 16, 9:51 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    fudge7000
    I've been using a room at my parents for storage... Not sure they realise quite how long the stuff will probably be there! (new house requires a lot of work!). House being sold is very minimalist now, and viewers seem to like it

• smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 3rd May 16, 5:50 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 27,449 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Still waiting for a viewer...
    • fudge7000
    • By fudge7000 3rd May 16, 6:02 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    fudge7000
    smallholdingsister - why do you think that is? What have the EA said about it?

I've got another one booked in for friday now, so 4 in the first 10 days (no offers yet though, so no better off!)

• GaggingOrder
    • By GaggingOrder 3rd May 16, 6:03 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    GaggingOrder
    Still waiting for a viewer...
    Oh dear. It's tough when you can't even get people in. Plenty of people on here will enjoy telling you it's overpriced (one already has). Whilst it may be, there can be lots of other reasons too so do explore all options with your agent. We had a lull after the initial viewings and a few tweaks to the listing with some better outdoor shots definitely improved thing. Still haven't found a buyer but at least people are looking, I suppose.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 3rd May 16, 6:50 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 27,449 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Fudge I suspect price is a reason but more the price bracket, the market moves slowly at our price range here because the average wage is so low that we are likely to sell to incomers.

We just tarted up the listing with a new sunny photo et.c

Thanks for your helpful comments. X
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 3rd May 16, 6:51 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 27,449 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Fudge are you in town/city?
    Thats a great start!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 4th May 16, 7:10 AM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 27,449 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    eta on the basis of the stats, housenetwork advises our price is "probably correct".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,751Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter