Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    big-saver
    My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?
    • 11th Oct 10, 2:27 PM
    My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me? 11th Oct 10 at 2:27 PM
    I have 5 years no claims bonus but I've not had insurance for the last 2 and a half years (because I lived in London and didn't need a car, then I moved overseas).

I tried 2 insurers and both of them insisted that the no claims discount had to have been issued within the last 2 years. As mine was issued in May 2008, they don't take account of it at all.

If I cannot use my 5 years NCB, the price of insurance goes up from £370 to £800!!!

Are there any insurers which will accept my 5 years NCB?

Thanks
Page 3
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Oct 13, 5:02 PM
    • 32,026 Posts
    • 16,103 Thanks
    Quentin
    Whoever you spoke to mislead you.

The issuing insurer cannot determine whether or not it's only valid for 2 years.

The coop website states 3 years.

Why not just do an online quote and if its acceptable take it from there.
  • gravvle
    Whoever you spoke to mislead you.

The issuing insurer cannot determine whether or not it's only valid for 2 years.

The coop website states 3 years.

Why not just do an online quote and if its acceptable take it from there.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    I did the online quote, but it doesn't ask how many years ago you last had the insurance. I phoned my previous insurer who just happens to be Cooperative eco, they were bad too as Budget, and they said its up to your new insurer whether they accept it or not. Crazy.

An insurance company misleading me - surly not.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Oct 13, 8:06 PM
    • 32,026 Posts
    • 16,103 Thanks
    Quentin
    Ignore what you were told about your former iinsurer having to decide whether the ncd is valid. As already posted you were mislead.

If the quote was acceptable then you have no problems.

They define how old the ncb can be, and don't ask how long you had it!
  • gravvle
    Ignore what you were told about your former iinsurer having to decide whether the ncd is valid. As already posted you were mislead.

If the quote was acceptable then you have no problems.

They define how old the ncb can be, and don't ask how long you had it!
    I'll try it and see what happens I'll let you know.
    Last edited by gravvle; 12-10-2013 at 9:33 PM.
  • gravvle
    Supposed to be getting our money back soon! Tried Swinton and they were brilliant. they got me a good price manaaged to pursuade an inusrance company to accept my just over 2 years NCD, with an added discount. Couldn't fault them or the guy's attitude.
    • oursus
    • By oursus 21st Nov 13, 8:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    oursus
    Drama.....
    Just phoned the other coop to check the no claims situation. Despite having a proof of no claims discount from my other insurer, who by the way siad they would insure including the no claims, but it was too expensive, the other coop said I had to check with the previous insurance company to see if my no claims was live for two or 3 years. So what it says on their website is a load of &&&@@@. I can go ahead with the insurance but if their underwriters think there is a problem they will cancel the insurance.

Its about time these insurance cmpanies were regulated, they will say it can't be done because its a free market. Well it isn't. We legally have to have car insurance and we are at the mercy of these money- grabbing companies! There should be a flat line insurance fee for basic cover, then they can scrap over the whistles and bells.
    Originally posted by gravvle

firstly, there is only one Co-Op, just 2 different products, the 2 different products have different possibilities, advantages & disadvantages, just like any 2 other products in any given market. You compare, you make your choice.

If they gave you incorrect information at the time of sale, this will be recorded, and you will be compensated.

2 yrs validity is now pretty well industry standard for NCDs, has been for a couple of years.

The insurance industry is regulated... massively, it is one of the most highly regulated industries in existence.

Saying that TPO insurance being compulsory means that it is not a free market, is effectively saying that menswear is also not a free market, because of the law on indecent exposure.

The problem arises because this is something that most of us devote a couple of hours to once a year, if that, and expect to be able to understand a subject which is a little more involved than say.. wrapping christmas presents? (can't think of anything else I spend 2 hrs a yr on!)

We get the consumer products we deserve folks!
  • NotMeGov
    2014-April Co-Op still offer up to 3 years' lapsed No Claims Bonus (NCB)
    To keep this thread going as it helped me to get my situation sorted out.....
    Coop are still one of the very few providers that allow you to bring a no claims bonus (NCB) to them if it is up to three (3) years old. They will ask for a covering letter as well to explain why you've not had one in the years between (such as being abroad, or a named driver on someone else's policy).
    I had to take one of the cars out of a multi-car policy with Aviva and place it direct with Co-op.
    Now I know this (and having three children to insure) I will keep alternating the main driver on my vehicles so that no-one ends up with a lapsed NCB more than 2 years in future.
    Also, just now, the Co-op will give you an extra 10% off if you call them with your Co-op membership number - it takes 2 minutes to get one via the t'internet.
    • questionss
    • By questionss 21st Apr 14, 3:06 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    questionss
    Just came across this thread and thought I would add that we managed to get cover with Churchill when our NCD had lapsed in the uk for over 2years. We had been living abroad and managed to get our insurers there to provide evidence of no claims having been made in that time but it took a lot of negotiatimg to get the discount provided.
  • deborah1975
    co-op
    Hi, I know this is an old post, but i would like to bring it up to date, I have 8 years no claims bonus but have not had a car for over 2 years, I contacted all the insurers suggested on this feed, AXA... they no longer accept no claims older then 2 years, I informed them that i had been a customer with AXA previously but was told sorry no can do, same as aviva, I contacted Adrian Flux... yes they can get me insurance.... with AXA!!the same company who informed me they would not accept my no claims.... anyway it was very expensive £535, .... but as i had already asked them and they shot me down in the beginning and said no can do, I said no they will not get my business now that Ive contacted a broker (Adrian Flux) anyway I would like to inform everyone of how CO-OP have said they will accept my 8 years no claims, as long as its not older then 3 years, which was great news as its not 3 years until Dec , so I applied for a quote and nearly fell off my chair... £340 with all extras, courtesy car,legal fees, protected no claims, so I would advise people that all may not be lost..... get in touch with CO-OP, i HOPE THIS HELPS
    • scoobie
    • By scoobie 16th Sep 14, 8:07 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    scoobie
    Try switching back from Company Car insurance to private insurance .. it's a similar nightmare. If you've had a company car for 2+ years, they'll say they recognise the no claims period for that, but will ignore any no claims period built up if you had a private car prior to that.
    • scoobie
    • By scoobie 16th Sep 14, 9:40 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    scoobie
    Other than the Co-op does anyone know of any other providers who will accept no claims bonus over 2 years old?
    • tomkut
    • By tomkut 11th Oct 14, 3:23 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tomkut
    how about retaining your NCB / NCD through short term insurance (1day) on somebody's or and old SORN car every two years?
  • Merlyn Peter
    Actually, the Cooperative does state 3 years for existing members, whatever that means. I wasn't, but continued to ask for a telephone quote. After running through the details she told me that my car was too old (1980). Best to avoid them.
  • Merlyn Peter
    Got 7 years no-claims after 3 years expiration
    QuoteLineDirect got it with Zurich.
  • pete52
    holding NCB over two years on Motorbikes
    folks just thought i;d add for the hundres of others googling this topic and getting this thread.. i have 9 years NCB that is exactly 2.5 years old so most say expired being over 2 years... Motorcycle direct the thornbury based broker use equity red star underwriter that will hold your NCB upto 3 years, so i just got insured with 9 years NCB saving about 160 quid, my last insurer carole nash wouldnt even entertain the idea
  • vics76
    The co op defo accept ncb upto 3 years old and are still coming up with prices that are very reasonable
  • nmurphy
    I came across this forum when trying to get insurance after a 3 year and 1 month gap. I called my previous insurer: Shelia's Wheels, who check my last policy and were prepared to provide me 10 years NCD. It's worth asking!
    • Nuninge
    • By Nuninge 6th Aug 15, 2:09 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Nuninge
    Does this class as having expired?
    I bought a new car three years ago but at the time still had my old car. I took a new policy out on the new car so started with no no claims bonus. I then sold the old car and let the insurance on that run out in the December (2011). My insurance on the "new" car is now up for renewal and I noticed I only have 3 years NCB as I never remembered to transfer the NCD from the old car (I know I know!!!!). Anyway, when I realised this I got a certificate for the 8 years I had and called my current insurers who told me about the 2-3 year lapse thing. My question is, has my NCB really lapsed? I had 8 years with one and now have 3 years with another that has crossedover coverage wise by about 4 months. I can only see expiry being when you have been without a NCD for a period of time whereas I was actually accruing on two policies for a while. Any help gratefully received thanks. Nuninge
    Make £2012 in 2012 member #88

To date: £1794.69 / £2012
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Aug 15, 2:24 PM
    • 32,026 Posts
    • 16,103 Thanks
    Quentin
    You cannot now add on the out of date 8 year one (assuming the date on the 8 year certificate you mention is 2011).

(If it's actually dated recently then use it at your next renewal)
    • Nuninge
    • By Nuninge 6th Aug 15, 9:54 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Nuninge
    You cannot now add on the out of date 8 year one (assuming the date on the 8 year certificate you mention is 2011).

(If it's actually dated recently then use it at your next renewal)
    Just the answer I needed...just not that one I wanted ha ha but thank you nonetheless. Oh well you win some you lose some. Can't believe it took me this long to notice that I had never transferred the old NCD!
    Make £2012 in 2012 member #88

To date: £1794.69 / £2012
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin