Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    big-saver
    My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?
    • 11th Oct 10, 2:27 PM
    My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me? 11th Oct 10 at 2:27 PM
    I have 5 years no claims bonus but I've not had insurance for the last 2 and a half years (because I lived in London and didn't need a car, then I moved overseas).

I tried 2 insurers and both of them insisted that the no claims discount had to have been issued within the last 2 years. As mine was issued in May 2008, they don't take account of it at all.

If I cannot use my 5 years NCB, the price of insurance goes up from £370 to £800!!!

Are there any insurers which will accept my 5 years NCB?

Thanks
Page 1
  • Dan Smith
    • 11th Oct 10, 2:49 PM
    • 11th Oct 10, 2:49 PM
    Aviva will accept up to 3 years from any previous insurer.

Co-op will accept up to 3 years if the previous policy was with them.

Otherwise try a broker like Adrian Flux.
  • big-saver
    • 11th Oct 10, 6:14 PM
    • 11th Oct 10, 6:14 PM
    Thanks for the tips.

Aviva quoted £595. They confirmed that they would accept an NCB up to 3 years old. £595 is much better than the best quote I had for 0 years no claims (£800). But its a lot more than the £370 if I was expecting to pay. This 2 year NCX expiry is very costly!

I called Adrian Flux and they quoted £641 with an insurer that would also accept NCB up to 3 years old.

The same quotes for third party fire and theft were: Aviva £465 and Adrian Flux £447.

So I think I will go with the Adrian Flux quote. In 12 months time, I will then have 6 years NCB and will be able to use it for any insurance company and expect to get my premium back down below £300.

I have 5 days left to choose, so if anyone else knows can recommend an insurance company or broker that will accept an NCB that is 2.5 years old, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 11th Oct 10, 6:17 PM
    • 20,266 Posts
    • 12,510 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 11th Oct 10, 6:17 PM
    • 11th Oct 10, 6:17 PM
    If your interested in TPF&T (Or Third Party Twist and Bust as my old colleague used to call it) try getting comprehensive quotes with a bigger excess altough bear in mind that Aviva apply the voluntary excess to fire and theft claims which is fairly unusual
  • big-saver
    • 12th Oct 10, 5:38 PM
    • 12th Oct 10, 5:38 PM
    Thanks for the tips.

The car will definitely be on a public road, so no chance to improve the quote there.

I will try adding a mature female to the quote to see if that helps. (I've had a license for 17 years and I have a clean record so it might not make a difference but if it does then great).

I will try Quidco too...
  • Disillusioned8
    • 8th Dec 11, 8:51 PM
    Aviva no longer accept NCD up to 3 years old
    • 8th Dec 11, 8:51 PM
    I'm not sure how this works at all, and maybe I am posting a message cross-thread ? I hope not, but if I am then please forgive me as I've never posted before. I just need to get this off my chest !

I am currently feeling a bit disappointed and disillusioned with Aviva, and I am leaning towards feeling that they have taken advantage of me. It may be the case that I have been a little naive and thoughtless, but still...here's the story so far...

I wanted to know if any insurance companies would take my 4 years no claims discount into consideration even though it is almost 3 years since it expired. When I did a Google search I was directed onto non-other-than this website and THIS THREAD !
    I discovered that (apparently) Aviva accept NCD up to 3 years old... Imagine my excitement...
    I immediately went to their website and filled out the application without a moments hesitation. My visa debit card was repeatedly declined, so I rang them up to complete the application over the phone. That was at the start of November. I posted off the letter confirming my NCD when prompted to do so by Aviva, later in the month, and thought nothing more of it.
    Today (8th December 2011), I received a letter dated 1st December 2011 telling me to contact Aviva customer services. When I did so, they informed me that they only accept NCD up to 2 years old. Of course, being keen to keep my NCD, I said I will cancel the policy with them - with the intention of finding an insurer who will take my NCD into consideration (so I don't lose it altogether). I was promptly informed that in order to cancel the policy I would have to pay an extra £26 over the phone then and there, obviously on top of the £106.84 I had already paid for the deposit.
    I felt like an utter idiot and I still do. I will never use Aviva again on principal, but I felt like I had to warn your readers too.

Yes I feel quite hard done by, and there is a bad taste left after my experiences with Aviva. Obviously there are huge lessons to be learnt from my experience, but is there any way of recouping the money I have lost ? I doubt it, but perhaps at least we can prevent anyone else from making the same mistake. Aviva humph.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Dec 11, 8:56 PM
    • 23,896 Posts
    • 50,127 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 8th Dec 11, 8:56 PM
    • 8th Dec 11, 8:56 PM
    Thank you for posting, newbie.

I've been w/o my own insurance for just under 2 years now and was thinking of buying a replacement car soon...now I'm seriously worried.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 8th Dec 11, 8:58 PM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    • 8th Dec 11, 8:58 PM
    • 8th Dec 11, 8:58 PM
    Did you actually bother to look? The posts above are more than a year old and things can change.

Their quote engine says about NCD-

The main driver will earn No Claim Discount (NCD) at renewal dependant on claims history. We define the main driver as the most frequent user and their NCD can only be used on one vehicle at any time. NCD from a previous insurer must have been earned within 2 years; we will not accept NCD earned as a named driver. Proof may be required. Introductory discount may be available based on your driving history if:
    • You have been named as a driver on an Aviva policy or you have been the sole user of a company car
    • Your NCD has been earned abroad
    Please call us on 0800 260 0462 to confirm any introductory discount.
  • big-saver
    • 9th Dec 11, 5:11 AM
    Who will accept "no claims bonus" more than 2 years
    • 9th Dec 11, 5:11 AM
    Very few car insurers accept NCB older than 2 years.

Try these two:

1. AXA Car insurance - I think they accept up to 3 year old NCB. I used them when I was in your position and a 1 year policy for third party, fire and theft only cost £300. After completing 1 year with them, I know have 6 years NCB and can use it with any insurer.

2. Adrian Flux - one of the best brokers. They can probably help you find an insurer that accepts 2+ years old NCB.

VfM4meplse - get insured before your NCB is 2 years old or you'll probably end up spending a lot more on it!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Dec 11, 10:20 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    Very few car insurers accept NCB older than 2 years.

Try these two:

1. AXA Car insurance - I think they accept up to 3 year old NCB.....
    Originally posted by big-saver
    AXA online will only accept NCB up to 2 years "old".
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Dec 11, 10:30 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    Today (8th December 2011), I received a letter dated 1st December 2011 telling me to contact Aviva customer services. When I did so, they informed me that they only accept NCD up to 2 years old.....I will never use Aviva again on principal, but I felt like I had to warn your readers too.

Yes I feel quite hard done by, and there is a bad taste left after my experiences with Aviva........
    Originally posted by Disillusioned8
    You are hard done by!

Complain about this using their complaints procedure.

Get a screen print of their web page FAQ (question 10) regarding "old" NCD, and ask them to honour this:

https://aviva.creativevirtual.com/AvivaBot/bot.htm?isJSEnabled=1&entry=no%20claim%20discount& isJSEnabled=1&SiteContext=CAR

(Select question 10):

You asked:

How long is no claims discount for car insurance valid for?

Our answer:
    Aviva will honour no claims discount (NCD) provided that your previous car insurance policy expired within 3 years of the start date of the new one. This NCD remains valid as long as it has not been used on another car.

• Disillusioned8
    Thank you Quentin, your insight was most helpful indeed and you inspired me to stand up for myself - Aviva complaints are ringing me back and I am asking for a full refund. Surely as my application was online they have a contractual obligation based upon the information on their website..

Anyway the bottom line is that I needed the car insurance, so I phoned Adrian Flux (underwritten by Aviva as it happens) and they have taken my "almost 3 year old" NCD into consideration. Next year I will have my NCD back and will be able to take my pick.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Dec 11, 12:23 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    If your premium is higher via Flux, then apart from your full refund, ask them to reimburse you the difference (as they are responsible for you having to cancel through their false advertising!)
  • Disillusioned8
    Good call ! Just for the record, is there an ombudsman if I hit a brick wall ?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Dec 11, 2:21 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    Yes.

But you have to exhaust their complaints procedure first. See how you get on with the phone call (if it comes!), then if no good write in with the complaint.

Their complaints procedure will be set out in the policy docs.
  • Disillusioned8
    I will post the end of the story here. I really do appreciate that you have been such help, and continue to be such a help, to so many. MSE.com is a truly wonderful website, and the individuals who dedicate themselves to this cause are true heroes. In this particular case, Quentin, thank you.

* Newsflash * Aviva have apologised to me on several occasions and admitted responsibility. They have given me a fresh insurance policy, including my almost-out-of-date NCD, with a discounted deposit and reduced installments. They are also giving me a refund, which they will deduct from the installments too. So there you go. Potentially, Adrian Flux had me over a barrel with monthly installments over £30 more expensive. Sometimes i guess it really is better the devil you know.

Aviva admitted it was their error. Two-fold. To begin with, their website hadn't been brought up to speed with the change in their company policy (from 3 years to 2 years). But also, when I made the original application, it was before the introduction of the new policy - but the policy had been introduced by the time Aviva received my proof of NCD. Ecky thump ! Talk about timing ! Essentially though, it all boiled down to the incompetency of the company and the staff therein..

When I wrote my initial experience/enquiry/complaint above, I was in a stinking self-loathing mood; ready to do some serious damage to something inanimate. But after a good nights sleep and after reading Quentin's reply, I became pro-active and eventually resolved the whole thing with Aviva. Ok, so I am still with Aviva - it will only be for one year and then I will change over with my 6 years NCD intact.

It is true to say that Aviva have a couple of rubbish web engineers/maintainers and customer service operatives who (with my assistance) created this mess in the first instance, but they also have a couple of good customer service operatives who managed to save the day.

And they all lived happily ever after. The End !

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
  • erbradio
    same thing happened to me near same time. help?
    Hi there, Just wanted to say basicly the same thing happened to me near the same time.

checked online various places Aviva seemed the only one that allowed up to 3 years lapsed no claims from another company. processed online.

A month later received a letter via post asking for proof of no claims. so i emailed proof of 6 years with under 3 years old lapsed. received another letter a week later saying please ring for further consideration to your no claims.

So after ringing them i was told that insurance will not be accepted as they changed there rules on the 14th of November 2011 aparently i just missed it as i got insured on the 20th. So after speaking to several people as the first one never called back after saying they would i was told the same thing - i had no choice but have the policy canceled, after admin / cancellation fees and because technicly i was insured briefly i am now £100 out of pocket with no insurance with less than a month before my previous no claims is the over 3 years old.

Is that Aviva link that states 3 years old valid as evidence?
    (Even though i did find on the website somewhere it now showing as 2 years.)

Any advice what to do appreciated?

Any other brokers recommened?
    (Obviously will try Adrian Flux as last resort need my no claims refreshed so willing to pay a higher premium just so i dont loose all of them.)

many thanks in advance. Leon aka erbradio.
  • mikey72
    It still says three years in the FAQ, but does now state two years in the quote, if you click on the help.
    Because it's ambiguous, I'd make a written complaint, and refer it to the FOS if they don't re-instate your insurance.
    I probably wouldn't mention the "help" on the quote page.
    If they take too long, and you need to re-insure, claim compensation for the difference from the original quote for the year from Aviva, to however much you end up paying, plus about £100 for the inconvinience and time you spend on it.

Do a screen print of the FAQ.
  • erbradio
    hi, many thanks for your reply, i am ready to send a complaint out just wondering if i should attempt to send it as a letter via post to the Director of Sales at a PO Box address i have on a letter or should i send through Aviva's own complaint procedure which includes attachment section for any additional information like a screenshot.

Just wondering what you would recommend for me to do in this situation?

Thankyou for your help and to the people that originally started this thread!

Leon aka erbradio
  • spamantone
    As of March 2012, Co-Op Insurance (CIS) will accept NCB up to 3 years from a lapsed policy, and I received the cheapest quotation from them also.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,751Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter