Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    big-saver
    My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?
    • 11th Oct 10, 2:27 PM
    My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me? 11th Oct 10 at 2:27 PM
    I have 5 years no claims bonus but I've not had insurance for the last 2 and a half years (because I lived in London and didn't need a car, then I moved overseas).

I tried 2 insurers and both of them insisted that the no claims discount had to have been issued within the last 2 years. As mine was issued in May 2008, they don't take account of it at all.

If I cannot use my 5 years NCB, the price of insurance goes up from £370 to £800!!!

Are there any insurers which will accept my 5 years NCB?

Thanks
Page 4
    • saveonarola
    • By saveonarola 19th Feb 17, 4:08 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    saveonarola
    I just bought car insurance, managing to keep my 7 years´ No Claims Discount, even though it was two-and-a-half years old.

I got quotes from Admiral and Co-op - both will take No Claims Discounts up to three years old - and a local broker (for a policy with Ageas).

Other companies I didn´t try but people have said are worth a go are LV, Swinton, Churchill, Zurich (through Quoteline Direct) and Adrian Flux.

If you´re stuck - or even if you´re not - it´s probably a good idea to try a broker, because they have access to lots of different companies. In the end, the best quote I got was through the local broker.
    Last edited by saveonarola; 19-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    • misswoosie
    • By misswoosie 14th May 17, 11:35 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    misswoosie
    Used Adrian Flux when we returned from a 5 yr spell in the USA. We paid about £750 for a car worth £4k. Big excess(£500) for fire and theft but £200 for accidental damage. Most insurers wouldn't touch us and the other ones that woud were closer to £1000. Before we left the UK we had 10 yrs no claims. Not usre what Adrian Flux took into account but the renewal notice said we only had 1 year No claims discount so we didn't gain anything no claims wise but renewal quote was £470. Have changed insurance company more than yearly because we've moved a lot and every time we move, doesn't seem to matter where, the premium seems to go up and it's been cheaper to pay the cancellation fee and go elsewhwere but even so we can't get the premium down much below £400. Just PEx'd the car for £1500 and I feel that we've been over insured for the last 2 years at least as car val' was £4,500 for insurance purposes. Would've been good if we'd had a total loss I suppose.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 14th May 17, 12:22 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    Used Adrian Flux when we returned from a 5 yr spell in the USA. We paid about £750 for a car worth £4k. Big excess(£500) for fire and theft but £200 for accidental damage. Most insurers wouldn't touch us and the other ones that woud were closer to £1000. Before we left the UK we had 10 yrs no claims. Not usre what Adrian Flux took into account but the renewal notice said we only had 1 year No claims discount so we didn't gain anything no claims wise but renewal quote was £470. Have changed insurance company more than yearly because we've moved a lot and every time we move, doesn't seem to matter where, the premium seems to go up and it's been cheaper to pay the cancellation fee and go elsewhwere but even so we can't get the premium down much below £400. Just PEx'd the car for £1500 and I feel that we've been over insured for the last 2 years at least as car val' was £4,500 for insurance purposes. Would've been good if we'd had a total loss I suppose.
    Originally posted by misswoosie
    Your insurance doesn't just cover your vehicle. It also covers any third party vehicle damage, and property damage, or injuries to third parties - which can run into the thousands, and even tens/hundreds of thousands if the accident is severe enough. £470.00 is very reasonable when you consider that.

If you had a total loss you wouldn't have to £4500. You would have cost the vehicle value just before the accident. Which is no where near £4,500 given the PEX is £1,500.
    Last edited by FutureGirl; 14-05-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    • HarrietB
    • By HarrietB 13th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    HarrietB
    I'm going to ressurect this thread because I am having a horrible problem with expired NCD. People are complaining about renewals of £550, I can't find one for less than £1,300!! I can't pay that! I have 4 years NCD which is over 3 years old (been a named driver due to money issues) and will be driving a 15 year old EU imported LHD Fiat Punto (although some of these quotes haven't even asked if my car was imported, so it's not the main problem apparently) What should I do?! I am a near-perfect driver, had my lisence over 8 years and never made a claim.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    See if your last insurer would be willing to have you back and honour the old ncd

Otherwise follow the MSE guide to motor insurance (link amongst the quick links at the top of the page) and also try a local broker (not Swinton) and see if they can get an introductory discount
    • Lwa75
    • By Lwa75 17th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lwa75
    same story struggling to find car insurance after a gap of over 2 years without losing 15 years ncb
    Is there any other companies which will carry them over?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    If it's under 3 years old try co-op as already mentioned in this thread
    • Lwa75
    • By Lwa75 17th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lwa75
    Thanks, have had a quote from them but very high, is there any other companies? Or will just have put up with it for a year to keep ncb.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,707Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter