Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stockton
    • By stockton 17th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 333Posts
    • 153Thanks
    stockton
    Insurance cancellations: Consequences??
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    Insurance cancellations: Consequences?? 17th Jul 17 at 11:43 AM
    There was a recent thread on insurance cancellations on here which was very informative but unfortunately got a little heated.

I am not repeating the same question here: I am asking a different question.

It seems to be the case that if you have an insurance cancelled then you have to inform new insurers when making a declaration. Given that there must be a number of different reasons why insurances are cancelled, ranging from failure to provide required information, direct debit or payment failures, to downright fraud or evasion, then surely insurers must treat some cancellations more seriously (and others less seriously) than others. The reasons for cancellation are not all the same.

So, you have to tick the box that says have you had an insurance cancelled. It was actually because a payment defaulted whilst you were abroad on holiday. What happens next? Do they ask you to phone up and discuss it with them?

In this digital age we are so used to conducting our affairs anonymously on-line that we forget that actually talking to insurers and advisers, real people, is an option.

From a business sense of view it does not seem rational to exclude a lot of people from your customer base unless there is good reason to do so.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 25,299 Posts
    • 10,042 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    You tick the box and a lot will drop out from the comparison sites. It does not mean they wont insure you but your are outside the standard range the comparison site caters for.

They cannot ask every single question so if you have had insurance cancelled you need to do the footwork when getting quotes and actually speak to the insurer.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 17th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    stockton
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    You tick the box and a lot will drop out from the comparison sites. It does not mean they wont insure you but your are outside the standard range the comparison site caters for.

They cannot ask every single question so if you have had insurance cancelled you need to do the footwork when getting quotes and actually speak to the insurer.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Thanks for that. It is re-assuring to know that individual cases can be discussed and are not just ignored or rejected, out of hand.

I note that on my last car insurance declaration I only had to declare that I had no cancellations within the last five years, so maybe some insurance company's are relaxing their rules a little.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 25,299 Posts
    • 10,042 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    Some say # years and some say ever. Just means the comparison sites are not for you.

Same as having a modified car. As soon as you tick that box it assumes you have taken the 1L engine out of your Micra and shoehorned a supercharged V8 dragster engine into it.

Well not really but they have no idea what you have done so best not to quote you on a comparison site in case its something they do not want to cover.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 18th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    stockton
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    Again, Thanks for clarifying that.

Perhaps I was overthinking things but I was getting the impression that all cancellations could cause severe problems for your future driving career. Given that driving is so important to people and insurance an absolute necessity it seemed unjust to me that an insurance company could arbitrarily lump you in the same category as a fraudster because you made some simple error.

Interesting that you should mention modifications. I realize that insurance companies have every right to be wary of boy racers and souped up engines but I note that some disabled drivers who needed modifications successfully sued insurance companies for disability discrimination because they refused quotes. I also understand the EU have issued a directive to prevent gender discrimination (although it does not appear to have had much effect, women still get cheaper insurance, apparently.)

I am just pointing out that insurance companies do not always have it their own way. If you have a cancellation, it is not the end of the world; just forget the comparison sites and start talking to people on the phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,967Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin