StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    4 years on and nothing has changed :confused:

Yep - same broken record!
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    If Ebay continue with their plans to only allow Paypal as their online intergrated payment system, then I for one will be complaining to the Competition Commissioner on the grounds that is is in full breach of the competitions act.

Every week approx. 1,000 people switch from Ebay to Ebid. Why?, because you can integrate several different payment systems.

I have accounts on both.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh dear not another monopoly question..ebay can do what they like on their site. A monopoly cannot exist where there is open competition.

Your own argument rather suggests that ebid is such a dreadfully appalling site that it is not in any way competition to ebay, I can't see the ebid people being happy with you!

Also strictly speaking since ebay allow bank transfers that would appear to be an online capable service as well. Do they also allow nochex as well, I haven't seen any mention of it for ages but I wonder if that is user apathy rather than an outright ban.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Almost another 9 months past - any updates on this. Just found this thread after seeing a result in google pointing to ebid.

eBay will always hold the monopoly unless everyone - including us, show that their charges aren't acceptable.
    Can eBid be the rival?

Any updated info welcome.
  • soolin
    ghl wrote: »
    Almost another 9 months past - any updates on this. Just found this thread after seeing a result in google pointing to ebid.

eBay will always hold the monopoly unless everyone - including us, show that their charges aren't acceptable.
    Can eBid be the rival?

Any updated info welcome.

What sort of update do you need?

If you use ebid then it would be useful to have your own views on whether sales are improving there, you may find this thread of use if you use ebid:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=483786&highlight=ebid
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I was wondering if people were still using it to buy and sell and if the overall perception had improved. Also if buyers thought the numbers were increasing on there i.e. the sales results were getting better.

Thanks for the link to the other topic, reading that as I go.

I have registered on eBid now as a buyer and will give it a try. Will feedback any thoughts I have on the experience - the registration seemed straightforward anyway :)
  • soolin
    I was wondering if people were still using it to buy and sell and if the overall perception had improved. Also if buyers thought the numbers were increasing on there i.e. the sales results were getting better.

Thanks for the link to the other topic, reading that as I go.

I have registered on eBid now as a buyer and will give it a try. Will feedback any thoughts I have on the experience - the registration seemed straightforward anyway :)

If you are under the impression that ebid is new then you may want to check out registration dates as they are virtually the same age.

Ebay.uk is a fraction over 10 years old, ebid approx 9 years. I have been registered on ebid for over 5 years without a single sale. I actually took off all my listings about 5 months ago as in terms of time it was costing me too much, but decided to re add a few listings in the interest of fairness as without listings currently live I felt that I would be unable to make comments about how ebid is progressing. Also in the interest of fairness I list the same items, although I have listed slightly cheaper on ebid to account for the fact that there are no listing fees.
  • Soolin,
    no, I realised that eBid had been around since the late 90's (even though I've only just found them!), I had forgotten however that eBay had only been around for a similar length of time.

I just like the idea that there should be some form of competition for eBay. I personally don't like the fact on eBay that you're forced down Paypal as a payment route if you're a seller, and that there are multiple places where eBay/Paypal take their cut - on listing, on selling, on payment - it's almost like they want you to forget how much money you're giving to them.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It's concerning that when somebody googles for information on ebid, that this thread ranks higher than the official ebid site. That speaks volumes to me on how they focus their SEO efforts.
    I just like the idea that there should be some form of competition for eBay. I personally don't like the fact on eBay that you're forced down Paypal as a payment route if you're a seller, and that there are multiple places where eBay/Paypal take their cut - on listing, on selling, on payment - it's almost like they want you to forget how much money you're giving to them.

There are hundreds of alternatives to eBay - literally hundreds. and therein lies the main crux of the problem...

Also, if you trade on Amazon, Play, or CQout - 3 of the largest "competitors" to ebay, then you have to use their payment and checkout system as well.

ebay are a business, a very big and successful one at that, and not the community touchy feely site that it once was. They are answerable to the stock market and shareholders, not the users. As long as they keep making money, they will continue to do as they wish.

As always, if you do not like ebay, then it simple - do not use it. What is not so simple is finding a suitable alterantive. But then that's the price to pay.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport