RSJ (UB) estimation

Before embarrassing myself getting builders etc, is there a rule of thumb for beam installation. Along the lines of 1500 per m2 for an extension.

I want to extend out the back of my house, and support the upstairs back wall of the house. The span would be about 10m

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You won't practically get an RSJ to span 10 metres. It would be far too deep and it would be interesting to see anyone try to lift it into place without a crane!

There isn't a guide per metre. The cost would be pretty much the same for most domestic knock-throughs as the main costs are in labour and the sizes don't vary too much.

I would definitely expect that you'll need two knock-throughs unless you have lottery win type funds available to open the full space. That cost would be exponentially more than than the average.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Definitely agree with the above. You'll need to look at support mid span to come up with a cost effective solution.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    ... unless you have lottery win type funds available to open the full space. That cost would be exponentially more than than the average.

It one of those situations when that money would look fantastic on a house though. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure