Should I pay to sit with my 4 year old

Options

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Actually my biggest beef isn't with parents not booking seats for their family together and then kicking off - but childless couples who do it ....who just can't bear to not sit together for a flight- Now that is seriously worrying !!

Why ? ....................
  • SavingPennies_2
    Options
    Actually my biggest beef isn't with parents not booking seats for their family together and then kicking off - but childless couples who do it ....who just can't bear to not sit together for a flight- Now that is seriously worrying !!

Why is it worrying? I find it bizarre that you have a problem with it. Of course I (and most) couples are capable and could "bear" sitting apart on a flight, just as with any other journey, but I would prefer to sit together. Just because we don't have children doesn't mean we don't want to share each others company on what is, after all, a part of our holiday.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    Pay for pre-booked seats coming back only..and when you print your tickets off...you will then see if you are seated together going out...If not...you have a choice to pay or not...but we always have been together... So only pay one way..:)
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • Dr._Shoe
    Dr._Shoe Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    Apart from the very few seats near the exits that have unlimited legroom every single seat in that particular class is exactly the same as any other seat you could possibly sit in. If I were separated from my kid because of a selfish !!!!!!! who "has pre-booked that seat" I will make sure that their journey is as unpleasant as I can possibly make it. I will fart, belch and pick my nose and generally behave in such a slobbish manner you will wish you had moved seats. I will also drone on and on about my job and believe me, I can be 100% boring if i want to be.

I was in a cinema once waiting for a film to start and someone came in and asked us to move because we were "in his seats" that he had pre-booked. Bearing in mind that there were only about 8 people in the cinema I thought it was a bit unreasonable. My partner and I (who were told we could sit anywhere) made them wait why we gathered up our drinks and pop-corn, drinks, hotdogs and coats then we move to the seats behind. Firstly (just as the film was starting) we said in loud voices "well acyually, we get a better view from here. Then came the sneezes, coughs, sweet wrapper crinkling at crucial scenes. I'm betting he didn't enjoy the film at all.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    No, airlines TRY to follow. If they ask people to volunteer their seats so that child and parent can sit together and nobody gives up their seat they're not going to start throwing people off the plane, no matter what you think.
    Ooh nice strawman! Nobody said anything about "throwing people off the plane". But they can allocate you a different seat whether you like it or not. Try reading the T&Cs. And they are more likely to do that than let a 4 year old sit alone.
    The parent just has to suck it up and learn to either pay or check-in online/get to the check-in desk earlier next time.

It doesn't annoy me in the least. What annoys me is the BS you're coming out with that parents deserve special assistance just because they're travelling with a child.
    They do. Just like those with disabilities etc. Some people have greater needs than others and airlines, and the CAA, are sentisive to that even if you aren't.

Lots of airlines do priority boarding for those with young kids. Or don't you believe that happens either :rotfl:Have you actually flown much?

I posted it earlier, but here's an example of someone with a pre-booked seat being forced to move: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5820751-Jet_2_Ejected_from_a_pre_booked_seat-Air_Travel.html
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    YYou DO realise that airlines have free preferred seating for travellers with disabilities (not "disabled people" - having a disability doesn't change the type of people they are) and usually preboard them before everyone else ?
    Err, yes. I was talking about bus travel in the post you quoted.
    Personally we don't use the service even though my son has a disability -but it definitely exists .

Not so "sure" now eh zaggy ?
    Sure about what, duchyyy, eh? I know that airlines cater for travellers "with disabilities", and that they also cater for travellers "with young children". Airlines also usually call those travelling with young children to preboard. As both have special needs which airlines (as advised by the CAA) are happy to cater for.

Even if some people here aren't.
  • MasterPoo
    MasterPoo Posts: 787 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dr._Shoe wrote: »
    Apart from the very few seats near the exits that have unlimited legroom every single seat in that particular class is exactly the same as any other seat you could possibly sit in. If I were separated from my kid because of a selfish !!!!!!! who "has pre-booked that seat" I will make sure that their journey is as unpleasant as I can possibly make it. I will fart, belch and pick my nose and generally behave in such a slobbish manner you will wish you had moved seats. I will also drone on and on about my job and believe me, I can be 100% boring if i want to be.

I was in a cinema once waiting for a film to start and someone came in and asked us to move because we were "in his seats" that he had pre-booked. Bearing in mind that there were only about 8 people in the cinema I thought it was a bit unreasonable. My partner and I (who were told we could sit anywhere) made them wait why we gathered up our drinks and pop-corn, drinks, hotdogs and coats then we move to the seats behind. Firstly (just as the film was starting) we said in loud voices "well acyually, we get a better view from here. Then came the sneezes, coughs, sweet wrapper crinkling at crucial scenes. I'm betting he didn't enjoy the film at all.

....and here Ladies & Gents is specimen A, a.k.a. Dr Shoe, a classic example of how NOT to behave. Your mom must be so very proud :T
  • SavingPennies_2
    Options
    Dr._Shoe wrote: »

Wow just wow, why the heck should I move to accommodate you, just because your too lazy/tight to pre-book seats. If you're that concerned about sitting next to your "kid" then surely you would make the effort to pre-book just like most other people do - oh no I guess you are one of those loud, obnoxious, self-entitled people who just shouts your way to getting what you want. I have nothing against people wanting to sit with their children - it's completely understandable, but its your responsibility to ensure you are sat together, and if I've gone to the trouble to pay and choose my seat I'm certainly not moving for you, and mean you specifically.
  • MasterPoo
    MasterPoo Posts: 787 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow just wow, why the heck should I move to accommodate you, just because your too lazy/tight to pre-book seats. If you're that concerned about sitting next to your "kid" then surely you would make the effort to pre-book just like most other people do - oh no I guess you are one of those loud, obnoxious, self-entitled people who just shouts your way to getting what you want. I have nothing against people wanting to sit with their children - it's completely understandable, but its your responsibility to ensure you are sat together, and if I've gone to the trouble to pay and choose my seat I'm certainly not moving for you, and mean you specifically.

I really hope Dr Shoe is a troll and/or he's momentarily escaped from his white padded cell at the mental institution just to log on and comment on this thread. That is the only logical explanation?!?!?!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Maybe he was trying to display irony .............or maybe he thinks behaving obnoxiously in public just because you don't get your own way in acceptable (he's not the only one on this thread after all)

The fact grown adults want to spoil their own children's holiday just to save a few pounds-by throwing a tantrum in public and embarrassing their own kids with their behaviour on the flight beggers belief.

Sadly that minority will effectively deter people who would have swopped with them but won't reward obnoxious behaviour.

Surely the obvious solution is vote with your feet. If an airline doesn't give you what you want- Don't fly with them and only fly with carriers that will guarantee to give you free seat allocations in advance..... or holiday somewhere that doesn't require flying.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family