Waitrose have finally adjusted their tills

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    still going strong at waitrose lutterworth yesterday
    onwards and upwards
  • Sadly it looks like this glitch is over, I bought reduced items today, which were 3.49 full price or 2 for a fiver- in the past 1.98 would have been deducted if you got 2, regardless of how much reduced. Items reduced to 1.99 each and nothing else deducted. I've been paid to take stuff away due to this glitch, hey ho!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    One of the joys of shopping at Waitrose gone, then. I doubt it cost them that much, in the overall scheme of things, but I suspect it kept quite a few customers like me calling in quite regularly on the offchance of a bargain.

Trips to Waitrose will be fewer now. We'll still call in occasionally to get things we can't get elsewhere, but an even greater proportion of the shopping will now come from Aldi than it does already.

Waitrose will get a bit - but rather less now than it did before. There are very few bargains to be had at Waitrose, but this was one of them - and the free coffee in the cafe (also gone) of course.

I wonder if this will backfire, and cost more than it saves.
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    This has been published in the staff magazine. It said that members of staff had complained that customers were getting this huge discount. Well staff were too and they also lose out.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I wonder if this will backfire, and cost more than it saves.

I think it might. Not counting the prospective inevitable lack of footfall (and consequently sales of other full priced items) doing the calculation on just one offer shows they willl probably lose out.

The mince I mentioned in my post above was reduced to £3.65 from £4.29 on a 2 for £7 offer and with the new arrangement a discount of 30p applied so you still got the mince for £3.50 even though out of date that day. Nobody is going to buy that in preference to long dated at the same price.

Previously, had they applied the full discount of £1.58, you would have got those two packs of reduced mince for £2.86 each. Many people were happy with that and in the past it would sell quite quickly. However.....

I went back that same day and naturally the £3.65 reduced mince had not sold (surprise, surprise!) and they had had to reduce it a lot further to £1.29 each. Therefore they got £1.57 less per pack of mince than they would have done under the previous system!

Foot meet gun.

Somebody has clearly not thought this thing through.

I see they are already losing market share on the latest figures, that is going to go down dramatically in the future I am sure.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Trips to Waitrose will be fewer now. We'll still call in occasionally to get things we can't get elsewhere, but an even greater proportion of the shopping will now come from Aldi than it does already.

The town where I shop at weekends has a Waitrose, a Co-Op and a Lidl.

I had been doing 90% of my shopping at Waitrose, taking advantage of the free newspaper, free coffee and reduced price glitch.

Last weekend I decided to see how much of my usual shopping I could get from Lidl and the answer is nearly everything. And it was cheaper. I then called into Waitrose for a free coffee from the self-service machine and went home!
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sure this is bad news but I guess it was always going to happen sooner or later.

I also don't think there is any downside for WR here - lets be honest we are the 0.1% of customers who were aware of, and perhaps tried to exploit, the loophole. We are also probably not the most profitable customers to begin with.

The coffee change may be more impactful - that promotion had much more public exposure and wasn't a glitch
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Only ever managed to get the multi-buy discount once as it was the only time I ever saw something I wanted.

Rarely take the newspaper and don't drink coffee so will make no difference to my regular Waitrose shopping.
  • manila
    manila Posts: 871 Forumite
    Never had advantage of this offer anyway :) My area is not one of the richest in London, so I have never seen an item greatly reduced, only 20-30p from £3-5.
    Someone mentioned about Tesco Metro, they also had fixed this glitch ages ago.
    It looks, the best deal for me is 5min away Morrison local, they have reduced stuff even at noon!
  • Still working yesterday at my local Waitrose; won't say which one in case they fix it. :)
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family