Kia Picanto problem.

Comments

• rodenal
    rodenal Posts: 831 Forumite
    Don't go replacing bits of the car without proper diagnostics - if a fault reader says coil pack then fair enough buy one and plug it in. Personally I wouldn't be buying more than one, just replace the faulty unit, if you can't identify which one is at fault just swap the new one in starting from left to right until your issue disappears.
  • Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask him what the code is. Not P0420 by any chance is it?
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412 Forumite
    The fault diagnosis said cylinder number 1. We are using a mechanic over here & he seems to be very good & fair, however it seems it is a process of elimination. We replaced the plugs first, then put injector fluid in, then replaced the HT lead. All these worked for a few days but the problem came back. If we disconnect the battery it resets the computer & it works perfectly until the engine light comes back on. The engine light has also gone off on it's own & the engine has returned to normal a couple of times. When the engine is working it really is good & sounds good. NOW the next problem....
    ...we went to the Kia dealer to buy the coil packs, long story short the guy from the dealership took us to the service dept & our car was put on the diagnosis machine. This came up cylinder number 1, however the guy thought first it was injector then he said it may be a screw lose that could cause the crankshaft to !!!! up the piston & said it would cost a lot to put right ie anything from €400-00 to €2000-00. This seemed to be the same as a problem on this site here so at the moment we are not sure what to do. We went back to our local mechanic & he thinks it is not the crankshaft as when the engine runs with no light it runs well.
    Nice to save.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    It needs to be run on a live scan, taken for a spin whilst on obdii diagnostics and catch the first code, they throw several once it starts, does sound like the Lambada sensor, usually its the wiring that overheats on them
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • L.S.D.
    vax2002 wrote: »
    It needs to be run on a live scan, taken for a spin whilst on obdii diagnostics and catch the first code, they throw several once it starts, does sound like the Lambada sensor, usually its the wiring that overheats on them

I know the guy at the Kia garage had some meter wired to under the drivers side LHD whilst it was running, he also had the electronic computer also wired to the car & whilst it was running did tests. I mentioned what was said to my mechanic & he thought about it over night & took advice & checked the pulley bolt etc & all was fine. So hopefully it is either a coil pack or the sensor. He thinks it is a coil pack so one should be fitted tomorrow, fingers crossed.
    Nice to save.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    L.S.D. wrote: »
    ...we went to the Kia dealer to buy the coil packs, long story short the guy from the dealership took us to the service dept & our car was put on the diagnosis machine. This came up cylinder number 1, however the guy thought first it was injector then he said it may be a screw lose that could cause the crankshaft to !!!! up the piston & said it would cost a lot to put right ie anything from €400-00 to €2000-00.

Never trust a monkey with a laptop.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • L.S.D.
    We fitted a new Coil Pack. This cured the problem but only after a 20 mile run in the car????? Everything was fine for just over 2 weeks then.....

I went to drive the car one day & when I released the clutch peddle nothing seemed to happen (as though there was no pressure & the peddle was loose). I pushed the peddle down again and slowly released it (loose again) and after it was almost out there was a big jolt (I guess the clutch had stuck & suddenly released). This immediately put the Engine Management Light back on & the car into 'get home mode'. Although this seemed like 3 cylinders again it was not as bad as before, but still not good. We took the car on a 20 mile run the EML went out & the car ran better but next day Both the bad running & the EML were back. Unfortunately we had to come back to the UK that day so that's how it's left. The clutch was replaced in the UK just before we had the car shipped over to Spain. Questions going round in my head. Is the car now OK but this clutch problem has upset the EML for now or do I have the problem back?
    Nice to save.
  • L.S.D.
    Still have the Engine light problem. We have put injector fluid into the petrol, fitted a new coil pack, fitted a number one injector, fitted new spark plugs & HT leads. The mechanic has run out of ideas. We have not changed the Lambda sensor, mainly as the mechanic says the diagnostic points to the number one cylinder. Could the lambda sensor show up as a number one cylinder problem? If you think it is the lambda sensor, there seem to be two. One pre cat & one after cat. Which one might it be? Any ideas, as this is driving us crazy?
    Nice to save.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had any flat batteries or car starting a bit slowly? FIL had a Rio 2006 had the engine light on and off for a while
    fault code pointed to a coil pack issue, 2 coil packs on his.

Had the code cleared and said he will need to book it in later, Next day the battery was dead, He thought this
    was because it was winter and the car would sit for days unused.

New battery and the engine light has not come back on since. Must have been a voltage issue causing the one
    coil pack to misfire slightly.

Dodgy cell in the battery, It would hold charge fine then suddenly the voltage would drop rapidly.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• L.S.D.
    edited 7 September 2011 at 5:05PM
    It had been standing for about 10 weeks, however we had the same problem before it had been standing, but... when we first used it around 9 days ago we went on a long run & at that time the problem had ceased. The next day we went to start up the car & it was dead. The doors unlocked via the remote, but all else was dead. Then suddenly it worked again. The same thing happened the next day. Since then the car has started up first time every time but the engine management light came back with the resulting running on 3 cylinders & has not gone away. As I said the mechanic came around on Tuesday (yesterday 6th Sept) & fitted the new injector into cylinder one (the one the management light said is the problem) but it did not cure it. Tearing our hair out now.
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport