Halfords estimates hours only

Options

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What the CCR says as far as a remedy goes is that every contract a trader enters into assumes that compliance with the CCR is a term of the contract. So if they don't comply, then either the contract is void (if a condition of contract, going to the heart of the contract) or can sue for damages (if less serious). In my case, it is a condition, so I will argue the contract is void and they better give me a refund in full AND change their working procedures for whole country.

If your argument is contested I think you will find it difficult to maintain the breach goes to the heart of the contract.

If you could show you could get the work done for a lower price elsewhere then I would have thought it would be relatively easy to argue the difference was a loss. (Since had they disclosed the required pricing information you would have gone elsewhere.)

Alternatively you might be able to argue the difference over what you consider a reasonable price is you damages (especially if the work was cosmetic or optional when you could argue would not have proceeded had the cost been higher that what you thought was reasonable).
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP if the contract is void are you going to allow Halfords to put you back in the position you were in before they carried out the repair?
  • GCMatthews2000
    Options
    OK well lets see what happens, will keep you all informed.....
  • GCMatthews2000
    Options
    yes because they didn't actually do any repair, they charged £192 to tell me what the problem was
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    A fool and his money.........................
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    So if they were unsure how long exactly it would take and could not give a fixed price, they should have advised op it would be £x per hour at a estimate of x hours.

as you quoted it does say "make available", without defining what that means, but I doubt it means spoon feeding.

OP did they give you any terms and conditions when you left your car, did they give you any bits of paper when you left your car?

Did they have a price list in a clear position in the garage?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £88 per hour... going rate about £50ph.
    1.6hours about £56 or thereabouts.
    They've offer £50 so your arguing over peanuts really.

Especially considering their fees could potentially be justified as being in line with other national dealerships offering like for like services.
  • GCMatthews2000
    Options
    no, because it is a point of law. they can't offer to contract on the basis of hours. they have to provide total cost. see Consumer Contract Regulations 2013
  • GCMatthews2000
    Options
    ....................... is protected by consumer contracts regulations! I don't know why trolls bother to come on these sits, you not got anything better to do?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It helps you you use the QUOTE function, so we know who you're replying to. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure