Back Date Jobseekers

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Haven't ventured onto there, but he seems to be finding his way around thanks to longer established members.

They were really good at getting him home when my husband passed away last month though -- and extended his compassionate leave by a week, as they deemed it "pointless" in trying to process passage back to Germany for a week before he'd be back here for Christmas leave ;)
    Cheryl
  • missjules
    missjules Posts: 36 Forumite
    Can you claim jobseekers allowance (contributed based), even if your husband is working and he currently earns jus over £30,000. I was made redundant last month, but havent claimed as I didnt know if I was entitled to it as my husband earns. (I have paid NI contributions constantly for the past 19yrs).
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    missjules wrote: »
    Can you claim jobseekers allowance (contributed based), even if your husband is working and he currently earns jus over £30,000. I was made redundant last month, but havent claimed as I didnt know if I was entitled to it as my husband earns. (I have paid NI contributions constantly for the past 19yrs).

Yes you can, it does not matter how much your husband earns or how much you have in savings.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    missjules wrote: »

Yes JSA (cont based) for six months.

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • missjules
    missjules Posts: 36 Forumite
    Thank you terryw & healy, that will help out. I have just filled in a claim on line (just in case I was entitled), do you know on average, how long it normally takes for them to contact you regarding the online claim?
  • healy
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    vronks22 wrote: »
    Thanks to MIMI123 for the info about the form JSA5 or t'other you mentioned.

I have my appt tomorrow with JSA as I applied online last week and hopefully I am entitled under the contributions section.

Does anyone yet have any experience on getting it backdated. I was made redundant on 23 Jan 09 and as I got a package I just assumed I wasn't entitled to any money. I have been unsuccessful in getting employment and have been using my pay off but then thought I should see what JSA was all about and applied on line.

I can prove I am registered with agencies (one even before I got made redundant as I figured it might happen), have had 2 final interviews (did't get the job), and have emails from agencies which I will take with me.

I figure I will be up against bureaucratic idiots (:confused:) but will post when I come back with results (interview at 10.30 tomorrow).

If there is anyone who has succeeded in getting it backdated, do let me know. I will be so annoyed to have basically lost out on a good £500+.

You will not get any backdated money as it was up to you to apply before.

I dont think it is helpful to call the Jobcentre staff idiots.
  • hanny83_2
    hanny83_2 Posts: 327 Forumite
    I don't think your post was at all helpful so why bother! Apart from provoking me.....

Who needs negative folk like you in these times.

Go get a life and find another forum to vent your spleen!

'Assuming' that you wouldn't get any money is not a reasonable excuse to backdate JSA, they will tell you that you could have enquired that with them.

Healy was just stating a fact.

If you lose your £500 then that would be your responsibility.
    Hanny:easter_ba
  • healy
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't think your post was at all helpful so why bother! Apart from provoking me.....

Who needs negative folk like you in these times.

Go get a life and find another forum to vent your spleen!

I assume you are talking to me.

My Post was helpful because it answered your query. It was not intended to provoke you, you must have some sort of problem.

I was not being negative, just stating the facts.

I was not venting my spleen and have posted here helpfully for a long time and will not be going elsewhere. I do not think your rudeness is called for.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2009 at 8:42PM
    healy wrote: »
    I assume you are talking to me.

My Post was helpful because it answered your query. It was not intended to provoke you, you must have some sort of problem.

I was not being negative, just stating the facts.

I was not venting my spleen and have posted here helpfully for a long time and will not be going elsewhere. I do not think your rudeness is called for.

Well, much as you may have thought your post was helpful (?) I would have suggested that the OP collates all their job seeking activities for the period in question, presents a report of this to the jobcentre with copies of adverts and application forms and asks for the back dating to be granted.
    In the event that it isn't, they should ask for a review of the decision.
    If the review is unsuccesful they should appeal and make sure they attend the appeal hearing as there is more chance of success that way.

OP, all of this advice I have given is an open option for you as an alternative to the advice from healy. Good luck with it.

Do me a small favour though - let us know how you actually get on with it.
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does anyone yet have any experience on getting it backdated.

My experience isnt good and is still ongoing. My contract ended on 10/01/09 and I made claim via the phone on the 12th, with my initial job centre interview a week later, where I was told I had been misdirected, had to cancel my claim, and told that I must start my claim again and get it back dated as it was their fault (told to apply for IS rather than JSA). Its just been one thing after another since then :rolleyes: and they have had the JSA5 (all signed and ok'd) for weeks and still not any further down the line. I am going to call them again tomorrow and ask to speak to someone higher up. I have been told by an assessor that the only valid reason is being misdirected by a DWP employee, which I was. Fingers crossed its sorted soon, the decision was supposed to take up to 5 weeks, been way longer than that...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure