Working Tax Credit/Free School Meals - advice appreciated.

Comments

• AnxiousMum wrote: »
    Hmmmm, are the school dinners and public transport REALLY that good? My kids would freak if I started buying them school dinners - they enjoy their packed lunches way too much, AND they enjoy the comfort of the air conditioned van in the summer, heated van in the winter. Working does have it's benefits - however, the OP in this case is temporarily unable to work - so is looking to see what help she might get in the meantime. Definitely better to work though surfsister :)

Why? I used to think so, and if you are better off, then of course.

But the reality is that many aren't better off, so why slave away for the minimum wage in the pretence you are doing it for your self esteem, when the reality is that if employers can't pay a living wage despite making big profits from your labour, why the fook should you?

The government has to subsidize employers and landlords whether you work for a low wage, or not work at all, because the economy is based upon it. So what difference does it make if you too slave for such employers?
  • sluggy1967
    sluggy1967 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Some people on here a being a little harsh
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    I am just writing to say that certain people are being incredibly insensitive, as a mother of a disabled child I understand how little help you get financially to care and support a child with disabilities or illnesses (or both). I had to give up work to care for my daughter and now i get a 'great' amount of benefit of about £50 a week to look after her. This is not a choice, and no the government do not help enough to cover living costs especially the high costs of having a disabled or ill child. It is normally the financially well off people that are highly critical of anyone on benefits, who have no experience of it. I have never been a benefit scrounger and to suddenly have to rely on them is extremely hard. Pressure to look after the child, give up work or cut down on work, and cope on very little benefits when costs are so much higher of living in this situation. Please understand that yes you can cope with paying for children under normal circumstances, but this is very different. Unless you are in that situation it is very easy to be critical, so dont' be so harsh. rbbadger - i empaphise with you, I am in the same situation, my other daughter takes packed lunches as we have no choice as we cannot financially do it otherwise. And i'm afraid it is the only thing to do, there seems to be no way around it, whatever your income if you receive wtc you cannot get it. Good luck though in everything, be positive. x

£50pw?

I don't believe you, I would think that it was about 5x this amount all in.

DLA and carers allowance for 1
    Then Child tax credits with disabled premiums
    Then child benefit. Are you entitled to a larger house for having a disabled child, i.e wheelchair access.

All that put together, I reckon £250pw easily.

I would say child benefits in this country are extravagant yes.
  • mitchaa
    Infact...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DisabilityLivingAllowance/DG_10011925

£71.40pw..High rate care
    £49.85pw..High rate mobility
    £53.90pw..Carers allowance http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/caringforsomeone/moneymatters/dg_10012522

Child tax credits = £127.98pw/£6655pa (£545 family + £2300 child + £2715 disabled + £1095 severely disabled)
    Child benefit = £20.30pw

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/taxcredits.htm

So I make that £71.40+£49.85+£53.90+£127.98+£20.30 = £323.40pw

Please tell me where you are getting this £50pw nonsense from? It's 6.5x this amount.

Additionally, I have not factored in any disabled grants you may be given or the home that you may be provided with for disabled needs.

That is an incredible amount of money and it angers me that £323.40pw is mistaken for £50pw and the sheer ungratefulness shown. Even if your partner is a high earner, you would still be entitled to most of that above.

Everything in black and white, please answer.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am just writing to say that certain people are being incredibly insensitive

I agree, you are being incredibly insensitive by indulging in emotional blackmail through introducing irrelevant factors such as disability.

There are very generous provisions for supplements to income to those households with children. There is no need for additional help on top of the existing additional help. How did these people manage to struggle by and feed their children before they went to primary school?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mitchaa wrote: »
    Infact...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DisabilityLivingAllowance/DG_10011925

£71.40pw..High rate care
    £49.85pw..High rate mobility
    £53.90pw..Carers allowance http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/caringforsomeone/moneymatters/dg_10012522

Child tax credits = £127.98pw/£6655pa (£545 family + £2300 child + £2715 disabled + £1095 severely disabled)
    Child benefit = £20.30pw

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/taxcredits.htm

So I make that £71.40+£49.85+£53.90+£127.98+£20.30 = £323.40pw

Please tell me where you are getting this £50pw nonsense from? It's 6.5x this amount.

Additionally, I have not factored in any disabled grants you may be given or the home that you may be provided with for disabled needs.

That is an incredible amount of money and it angers me that £323.40pw is mistaken for £50pw and the sheer ungratefulness shown. Even if your partner is a high earner, you would still be entitled to most of that above.

Everything in black and white, please answer.

Talk about assumptions! How do we not know that:
    - the daughter receives MRC and no / or LRM?
    - The poster has a partner who works, therefore, may not get the maximum
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • mitchaa
    edited 12 August 2010 at 11:22AM
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Talk about assumptions! How do we not know that:
    - the daughter receives MRC and no / or LRM?
    - The poster has a partner who works, therefore, may not get the maximum

DLA and carers allowance is guaranteed and not based on household income. Assumption that the disability is severe enough due to the fact it is stated that they had to give up work to care for the child. I already stated child tax credit would be based on household income, but only 5-10% of males earn high enough to not be entitled to tax credits so 90-95% of males will be entitled to some form of tax credits with a singular income which would make it highly likely that the child tax credit premiums would be awarded.

DLA, carers allowance and the universal child benefit alone is worth a hell of a lot more than £50pw as claimed and the point I was getting at.

The poster was whinging about how the system did not take care of disabled children, I have proven above, that it more than takes care of them with the very substantial payments awarded.
  • Indie_Kid
    DLA isn't income. Many disabled people find that the true cost of disability is more than the benefits they get.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • mitchaa
    sh1305 wrote: »
    DLA isn't income. Many disabled people find that the true cost of disability is more than the benefits they get.

Don't be so silly.

Any money paid into a bank account is income. Disability living allowance is an income. Your statement is just like saying child benefit is not an income because children cost more than £20pw.

Ludicrous statement.
  • Indie_Kid
    mitchaa wrote: »
    Don't be so silly.

Any money paid into a bank account is income. Disability living allowance is an income. Your statement is just like saying child benefit is not an income because children cost more than £20pw.

Ludicrous statement.

It's NOT an income. It's to pay for extra costs incurred because of disability. If it's income, why do HMRC & DWP say not to include it when they ask what income you have coming in?
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family