PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lost my job - lettings not willing to...

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dranzer01 wrote: »
    I definitely feel now, thinking on it, getting rid of me on the same day without 1 months notice is wrong... thats something i need to look into

/

i also read 'the work - seeker would have to give 4 weeks notice... so i would have to give 4 weeks notice, but the company can get rid of me there and then... how does that work...?

This link might help you:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/work-comes-to-an-end/dismissal/

Have your contract to hand as what is written in it plus statutory law is key.

Once you have your letter from work then if you still feel things have not been done correctly then make an appointment with CAB.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Just to be clear OP, there is no unfair dismissal here, so the best is abit more payment in lieu of notice
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Can you not get a guarantor or pay 3 months up front? It would solve the problem.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2016 at 2:45PM
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Neither of those have any relevance on the legal position

That's an interesting proposition. Why do you think that's so?

If I'm paying for referencing, I should be paying what it costs. Otherwise, I'm paying for something else, like an illegal fee to the estate agent.

Likewise, a deposit is to compensate the LL for potential loss through a vacant period. If he has no loss ... It's a deposit, not a fee.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Guest101
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    That's an interesting proposition. Why do you think that's so? - because it has no relevance.

If I'm paying for referencing, I should be paying what it costs. Otherwise, I'm paying for something else, like an illegal fee to the estate agent. - explain how it is illegal. What makes you think you pay cost price. Do you question how much your phone actually cost to make? What about that take away you ordered last week?

Likewise, a deposit is to compensate the LL for potential loss through a vacant period. If he has no loss - no a deposit secures the property subject to fulfilling terms and conditions. OP failed to do so and therefore lost the deposit.... It's a deposit, not a fee.

I'm afraid your position is fundamentally flawed
  • Guest101
    Bogalot wrote: »
    The link applies to those in employment, whereas OP appears to be saying they are a contractor. dranzer can you clarify your employment status please? If you're self employed you've essentially signed away your employment rights for a bit more pay.

That is not the test for being employed / self enployed.

I won't go into the details, as it's not relevant given the length of service.

OP had no employment rights regardless of his or her status
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    GDB2222 wrote: »

If I'm paying for referencing, I should be paying what it costs. Otherwise, I'm paying for something else, like an illegal fee to the estate agent.

Illegal? !!!!!!?!

I'm no fan of these fees but be sensible. A service is being provided and the person(s) doing so are fully entitled to make a margin.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    marksoton wrote: »
    Illegal? !!!!!!?!

I'm no fan of these fees but be sensible. A service is being provided and the person(s) doing so are fully entitled to make a margin.

The point is (and I apologise for not making it clear at the outset) that estate agents are not allowed to charge tenants for finding them a property. It's illegal. If, instead, they dress up these charges as referencing fees, that's illegal, too. There's no case law yet AFAIK.

There's a class action suit being prepared by Casehub at the moment on this very point. Not too late to join if you've been fleeced.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Could someone please explain where the figure of £1000 comes from? I can only find the £250 each for the reference fees I can't see why anyone paid £1000.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2016 at 6:03PM
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Could someone please explain where the figure of £1000 comes from? I can only find the £250 each for the reference fees I can't see why anyone paid £1000.

£250 each for referencing and then another £250 each as a holding deposit. I think...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure