PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

White vinegar

Sorry to start a new thread for this.
I bought some clear malt vinegar from asda - is this the same as white vinegar? Don't want clothes to smell like a fish shop.
How much do I put in machine and I presume I put in fabric conditioner part of detergent drawer?
Will this help soften my hard water?

Sorry for the basic questions - as you can guess I'm a bloke!!!
No reliance should be placed on the above.

Comments

• freda
    freda Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just put a splosh of vinegar in the same part of the drawer as the fabric conditioner needs to go in. Never measured it as such, I'd guess its a couple of capfuls (the vinegar cap, not the fabric conditioner cap).

I don't think the type of vinegar matters too much, only that the brown stuff apparently shouldn't be used with a whites wash.

Vinegar is good for softening water, it gets rid of limescale as well. You can de-limescale a kettle by boiling vinegar in it. If you soak a bit of kitchen towel in vinegar and leave it on any stubborn limescale marks on the sink etc they'll go away like magic. I also use it as a water softner in the dishwasher.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use white vinegar and water in the dishwasher in the rinse aid compartment and the glasses "Gleam" - No - I do not mean the product advertised - lol!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forgot to say - if you get an empty spray bottle and fill it with a third white vinegar and top up with warm water - it is great for shower screens etc.
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I tried using vinegar as fabric conditioner and it was dreadful! I used white vinegar in the conditioner compartment when I washed some towels.They came out all hard and scratchy and stunk of vinegar too.

I defo did something wrong as some on here swear by it. To be honest I dont think I`ll try it again.But as a cleaner it`s the best thing.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • glendam
    glendam Posts: 348 Forumite
    I have used it on towels too but I think its great. Yes they are not fluffy but still feel nice and I think the whites look cleaner. Its as if the build up of softener has been removed.
    But were can I get white vinegar in larger quantities from.
    Glenda
    Glenda

£1 a week savings challenge 2014

£250

• rhubarbs
    rhubarbs Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tesco have white vinegar on special offer at the moment. 2 x 1.14 litres pickling strength for £2. I bought 4 bottles yesterday!
  • daisy2002
    daisy2002 Posts: 964 Forumite
    What sort of things do you clean with the vinegar?
    I asked someone before on another forum about using white vinegar to descale my kettle & she said that my kettle would stink of vinegar & the water would taste of it :confused:
    Is vinegar any good for cleaning the hob & stuff like that?
    I normally use cillit bang but its very expensive & i'm trying to save some money.
    Thanks
    “Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.”
    Some people only dream of angels, i held one in my arms.
    Praying this baby makes it.
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have a look at the thread on "Stardrops" - it is great for cleaning the cooker and you can use it for all sorts of other cleaning too.

If you have a "Home bargains" store or chinese or asian supermarket they sometimes sell 5 litre bottles of white vinegar very cheaply.
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forget to say - re kettle - once you have left white vinegar in it you need to refill kettle with fresh water and then boil and empty at least a couple of times.
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Look up white vinegar in the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of Old Style. There are threads on sources and lots of tips on using it.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport