Driving Licence when Diabetic

Wizard_of_Id
Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
I am diabetic and I need to renew my licence every 3 years because I inject insulin.

Does anyone know if they will send me a reminder and if I need to pay for the renewal?

My first one under these rules was free and expires in December this year.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am diabetic and I need to renew my licence every 3 years because I inject insulin.

Does anyone know if they will send me a reminder and if I need to pay for the renewal?

https://www.gov.uk/renew-medical-driving-licence
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite

Do not know about your particular case but when you are 70+ I do know you have to renew every three years. They send a reminder and you do not have to pay.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    DUTR wrote: »

I searched the site before I came and asked here but found only the normal licence renewal page, I probably never looked deep enough. :o
    Big thanks for that, I just need to find out if they will send a reminder.
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Extract from DVLA letter telling my wife her new licence was on its way.
    "Within 2 weeks you should receive your new short period driving licence which will be valid for 3 years.......We will send you the renewal forms three months before your driving licence runs out."
  • Wizard_of_Id
    jimmo wrote: »
    Extract from DVLA letter telling my wife her new licence was on its way.
    "Within 2 weeks you should receive your new short period driving licence which will be valid for 3 years.......We will send you the renewal forms three months before your driving licence runs out."

It probably said that on my letter way back when but it has long since gone.

Thanks for the info :T :)
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It probably said that on my letter way back when but it has long since gone.

Thanks for the info :T :)

I always keep a copy of the last application and correspondence because you get the same old questions every time. Helps with consistency and/or realising that there have been changes which will slow down the renewal process.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    I got the letter and form but I was able to do the renewal online and received my new licence 4 days later :T :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure