issue with drains

2»

Comments

• That outside drain has (or should have) a u-bend in it so there is always standing water in it to prevent smells coming back up the drain.

Tip a bucket of water in the drain. If it goes down slowly or not at all then its blocked or partially blocked. I've used a metal coathanger to break up blockages when they happen.

The chance of OPs smell coming from the outside drain, back up the pipe and round your sink ubend is pretty remote. If you can smell something in the kitchen its more likely to be something related to the sink U bend or something else inside the house.
  • illusionek
    illusionek Posts: 171 Forumite
    I did the bucket thing with both drains with standing water and it was going fine. I can clearly see there is a u-bend in both of them however every now again I can smell drains in kitchen or outside. It is not a permanent or very very strong smell but still noticeable. Is there anything else I could do to stop it from happening apart from fitting gully grids, which I guess are mainly to prevent future blockage rather than smells.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The chance of OPs smell coming from the outside drain, back up the pipe and round your sink ubend is pretty remote. If you can smell something in the kitchen its more likely to be something related to the sink U bend or something else inside the house.
    Possibly, but I wonder whether the smell is outside and only sometimes detectable in the kitchen. Might there be some manky detritus in the drain or simply dried rubbish around the pipework that is smelling in the hot weather and OP has their windows open? If the smell is appearing occasionally, this might explain it.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Let's put this to bed please:

Outside gully traps should have 'standing water' - it's a water trap to prevent gasses coming back up from the sewer system.

All pipes entering gully should terminate BELOW the grid, but above the water line (regulations)

Smells in the kitchen will not be coming from the outside in this instance UNLESS there is an outlet (dishwasher maybe?) that ISN'T fitted with a water trap - and the pipe empties straight outside. Smells like this are invariably because they are connected before the internal water trap.

All your pipework looks a bit amateur, and it wouldn't take much for someone to re-pipe and fit drain grids. It's a solvent weld system you have, you're not going to take that apart so matter how much you twist and pull.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • illusionek
    illusionek Posts: 171 Forumite
    I agree the pipework looks an amateur but then how should it look like? If you look at the very first photo the white pipe is for a dishwasher. So I guess this is part of the problem? However it was recently installed by the plumber who told me that it needs to be this way because dishwasher is too far from kitchen sink. So if I get someone to sort out this pipework how can I ensure they do it properly?

Also you mentioned all pipes should terminate below the grid but then how do I fit gully grids?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    illusionek wrote: »
    Also you mentioned all pipes should terminate below the grid but then how do I fit gully grids?
    You cut holes for the pipes to go through.
    Has the pipe from the dishwasher got a u-bend in it? Having asked that, if I get a nasty smell around here it's usually Farmer Giles muck spreading.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have a similar system of gullies with odd looking pipes. I can also see standing water. The pipes all end just above the grids.

Sometimes the main gully smells in hot weather, a bit of prodding around and it appears that there is some solid matter (congealed fat?) stuck to the side of the gulley below the grid level. Dealing with that gets rid of the problem.

I don't know how you would get the pipes ending below the grid - the grid would have so many cut outs I doubt it would hold together.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    It will hold together, I've done this many times..
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-gulley-grid-150mm-black/16499
    or
    70749.jpg

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income