Help please re SIM only deals

Comments

• littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As far as I know, the difference between EE and Virgin is EE include tethering and Virgin do not.

Other points which may be important to check... international roaming, in particular EU roaming. Vodafone have already jumped on the EU roaming bandwagon ahead of the deadline of mid June.

EE don't offer a spending cap, not sure about Virgin. All contracts should include a spending cap, but many don't. Watch out.

Ah that's very interesting, I didn't know that Virgin wouldn't allow tethering and as I tether my phone to my tablet at the moment (although only occasionally when out and about) that's something to take into consideration, so thank you. :)

I don't use international roaming so that's not an issue for me.

I'm going to sound a bit daft, but what exactly is a spending cap?
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Korkyb wrote: »
    Hi

I've sent you a private message with an email address of a contact I have in ee. He should be able to sort you out with a decent deal.

Thank you, I have read it and will reply soon. :)
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • A spending cap is a limit on your monthly direct debit payment. I'm with Three who let you set zero or unlimited via their My3 app.

Voda and EE, perhaps many others, just let you run up a huge bill if you accidentally (or otherwise) make calls outside your bundle. If OFCOM got their finger out they could mandate spending limits...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    littlewren wrote: »
    Thank you, I need 2GB really, which would increase that quite a bit.
    Plusnet currently doing 5GB/500mins/ul txt for £10.
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Phone EE and ask them for the unlock code for your phone
    This should be Free now as you have have your phone for 4 years and then you can go with what ever network you like such as giff gaff
    If you got your phone from carphonewarehouse the phone will be unlocked anyway as all their phones come unlocked
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    littlewren wrote: »
    Thank you, that's what I was worried about. I'd rather go on the 30 day contract I think, for that reason. :)

virgin tend to do 30 day ones.

EE do both
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As far as I know, the difference between EE and Virgin is EE include tethering and Virgin do not.

Good point.

Virgin give you free data for whatsapp and facebook messenger.
    And unused data is rolled over to the next month (but only rolls over 1 month)
  • GT60 wrote: »
    If you got your phone from carphonewarehouse the phone will be unlocked anyway as all their phones come unlocked
    I think you will find their iPhones lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, or at least that used to stated on their web site. A good reason to buy directly from Apple for a properly unlocked iPhone.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think you will find their iPhones lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, or at least that used to stated on their web site. A good reason to buy directly from Apple for a properly unlocked iPhone.

You're right, the message is still on the CPW website.

The iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.

John Lewis, giffgaff and Three also sell properly unlocked iPhones.
    ====
  • Three have a really good deal at the moment:

4GB data (4G)
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts

£9 !!!!!!!!!

The link: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Negative for Three is lack of 4G when roaming in their 'Feel At Home' destinations. Also you're tied in for 12 months if not on a 30 day contract.

Vodafone however are getting better:

Global roaming free of charge on all plans (take whole allowance to Europe for free and on Vodafone 4G in every one of those countries - not some rubbish roaming partner network).

Call centres are coming back to the UK this year

On 12 month sim only you can upgrade to a handset contract any time after the first three months.

Flex upgrades- on a handset contact vodafone now let you pay off the device cost (much like o2 refresh) and upgrade whenever as long as handset cost itself is paid off.

I'd go for either:

Cheapness/economising = Three Sim Only
    Quality of network = Vodafone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills