New CCJ on file - Help Please

Hi guys,

Wondering if you can help on where i stand with this. i have today logged into my credit report and have had a CCJ added on there this is what is on my credit file

Account type Electricity - even payment
Account number **************3538 0
Account holder status Gone-away
Account start date 07/11/2008
Opening balance £ 1,311
Repayment frequency Monthly
Date of default 14/01/2017
Default balance £ 1,311

I have not gone away i still live at the same address i have received no letters from any debt collection agencies or court summons nothing, account start date is 2008 surely in 9 years i would have received one letter, its not even a debt i knew about, is there anything i can do to get this removed form my credit file? are they allowed to default something after 9 years?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 January 2017 at 7:26PM
    Hi,

Err, why do you think you have a county court judgement ?

What you have listed is a default for non payment of a bill.

How do you normally pay your electric bill ?,

Are you in arrears ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • dieselv2
    dieselv2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Does the account number match to your electricity account number?
    Debt As Of 19/3/2021: £16,973 | Current Debt: £9,322 | 54.9% Repaid
  • hi guys
    thanks for your responses i left British gas in 2009 haven't been with them since i thought i had paid my final bill i have never received any bills from them in the last 7 years and certainly received no debt collection letters or court summons letters, if it wasn't for the CCJ on my file i would know nothing about this, can they just CCJ you like this? and after 7 years of not even having an account with BG? who would i contact i have no idea who the debt agency that filed this would be i have no idea of the account number i don't have paper work for things i was with over 7 years prior
  • sourcrates
    edited 29 January 2017 at 7:45PM
    marcthomas wrote: »
    hi guys
    thanks for your responses i left British gas in 2009 haven't been with them since i thought i had paid my final bill i have never received any bills from them in the last 7 years and certainly received no debt collection letters or court summons letters, if it wasn't for the CCJ on my file i would know nothing about this, can they just CCJ you like this? and after 7 years of not even having an account with BG? who would i contact i have no idea who the debt agency that filed this would be i have no idea of the account number i don't have paper work for things i was with over 7 years prior

Can I just ask again, how do you know you have a CCJ ? Is it recorded in the public information section of your file ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • it says Default in a Default a CCJ? i thought that is what a default is?
  • sourcrates
    it says Default in a Default a CCJ? i thought that is what a default is?

No, it isn't.

A default, as I said in my first post, is what you get for non payment of an account.

A county court judgement is an entirely different thing altogether, your account has not been to court and You do not have a CCJ.

Ring the company concerned and ask them what's going on .
  • thank you for your advice, i find it a bit strange that a default is put on an account so long after the account being closed, surely the normal procedure is it goes to debt collectors then defaults within the space of a few months?
  • dieselv2
    dieselv2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    In essence your account was never closed as there was an outstanding payment.

Phone them up and explain situation and if your willing to work with them you will be able to sort out a repayment plan with them.

An account defaults before being passed to DCA.
    Debt As Of 19/3/2021: £16,973 | Current Debt: £9,322 | 54.9% Repaid
  • sourcrates
    thank you for your advice, i find it a bit strange that a default is put on an account so long after the account being closed, surely the normal procedure is it goes to debt collectors then defaults within the space of a few months?

It's probebley an old debt you've forgotten about.

The good news is, if you've not paid or acknowledged this debt for any period of 6 years, then it will be statute barred.

If anyone writes to you chasing it, send them the statute barred letter (Google it).
  • it is defiantly an old debt i had forgotten about had no idea i owed the money,

sour crates does tat mean i wont have to pa the debt back ???

also can i get the default removed???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport