Frozen Sliced Mushrooms (Where ? )

2»

Comments

• Tia_Maria06
    Tia_Maria06 Posts: 777 Forumite
    Middy wrote: »
    If you find some mushrooms in the produce whoopsies, then cut them up into pieces big enough for what you use them for, bag them up in quantities you use them in and freeze them.

Did that to a huge box of mushrooms (500g) that I bought for 15p. Did a few spag bols, chilli con carne and casseroles.

I did just that.. got 2 punnets of 'rooms for 9p each. Sliced and bagged and waiting to be used now.:money:
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

If you really cant knit very well, then practise drumming with the needles...

:j
  • kochi1
    kochi1 Posts: 268 Forumite
    I get mine from Morrisons, always handy to have in the freezer!
    At least the fish fingers are still frozen, that's what I keep telling myself (Truly Madly Deeply)

• Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What are they like once they're defrosted? I've been tempted to get some but worried they'll be a bit slimy.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Alleycat wrote: »
    What are they like once they're defrosted? I've been tempted to get some but worried they'll be a bit slimy.

You cook them from frozen.
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You cook them from frozen.

I know, but do they lose much of their texture i.e. go mushy/slimy?
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Alleycat wrote: »
    I know, but do they lose much of their texture i.e. go mushy/slimy?

The whoopsied mushrooms I've sliced n frozen are pretty disgusting. They were fine when they went in the freezer.
    They taste rubbery and look black. There is a lot of water that is released when they are cooked too.

They may be ok in stews etc but for a bacon butty (which is what I was hoping to use them up in) they are pretty yuck.

I haven't tried shop bought ones so cannot vouch for those.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • I bought these yesterday, great for soups, omelettes and to add to casseroles. Put them in towards end if making a casserole, otherwise go soggy.
    MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning:money:
  • I agree about the soggy rule. Whatever you do, don't try to fry frozen mushrooms with your cooked breakfast!

There is too much water in them and they will go black and soggy. Good for chucking in bolognese near the end of cooking though ;)
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    I only use frozen mushrooms for a big of extra flavour/ bulk in a stew/ soup etc. I don't find them edible in their own right from frozen. I buy them cheap and chop finely in the processor then freeze - I cook them long enough for the water to evaporate off after
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport