Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Zebedeee
    Zebedeee Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, littlepockets! So pleased to hear you have won your battle. You are another great example of how it pays to gather your evidence carefully and present a watertight argument.

Now, how to spend the refund?
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Completely agree with Zebedeee on that one littlepockets. What fantastic news! Enjoy the cheque!
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • alan6502
    Options
    I had the BG cavity wall inspectors come to my house only to tell me they cant do stone block walls, which all the houses in Burnley are (well the old ones like mine) they only do brick built houses!
  • t-elle
    t-elle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Had confirmation letter yesterday from VOA that I was successful being rebanded from D to C after sending in more evidence. Now waiting to hear from Council about refund to 1993!!! (Bought new telly before we knew about this so what a BONUS):beer: Will post on success thread when I find out how much rebate!
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi t-elle,

And remind me, wasn't that after the VOA told you the matter had been fully investigated and closed?!?!?!?

That's fantastic news, well done and enjoy the cheque!

Goes to show - perseverance pays.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • t-elle
    t-elle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    Hi t-elle,

And remind me, wasn't that after the VOA told you the matter had been fully investigated and closed?!?!?!?

That's fantastic news, well done and enjoy the cheque!

Goes to show - perseverance pays.

Yes, I first phoned to ask about rebanding and had a letter in less than 2 weeks rejecting claim so I left it until the end of May. After reading more on here :T decided to dig out old paperwork and write a polite but firm letter stating my case.
  • sokuryoku
    Options
    Hello All Tried looking thru the posts and can't see any thing specific RE My situation. My Question is.

My Mum passed away 4 months ago. She lived in a "D" Banded property with no extensions/work made on the property. 90% of the other Terraced houses in the street are "C" Banded. Which are the same as my mums.
    She lived in the property for nearly fourty years. The house was passed to me. Can a claim be made for a rebate in this situation?
    Any help would be a help.
    Thank You
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sokuryoku,

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Yes you can claim as the present owner. If you are successful, you may be able to claim the rebate on behalf of your mother's estate too.

Good luck :)
  • grace21
    grace21 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Dear All
    For those of you that can remember my plight and for those intersted please look through my previous posts . I have now taken my council to court for the full council tax refund.
    They of course are defending it citing my negligence at not challenging the banding before!!! I am now waiting for a court date. Not sure how I will get on but wish me luck!!
    Grace
  • exvoperson
    exvoperson Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    sokuryoku wrote: »
    Hello All Tried looking thru the posts and can't see any thing specific RE My situation. My Question is.

My Mum passed away 4 months ago. She lived in a "D" Banded property with no extensions/work made on the property. 90% of the other Terraced houses in the street are "C" Banded. Which are the same as my mums.
    She lived in the property for nearly fourty years. The house was passed to me. Can a claim be made for a rebate in this situation?
    Any help would be a help.
    Thank You
    I have a similar case and have been told by the council that the executors can claim for the refund back to 1993

Regards

ExVOperson
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport