What to purchase for £100 and will appreciate in 2 years?

13»

Comments

• Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 1:45PM
    I was into 50p coins a few years back, I did OK out of them. I'll keep a look out, thanks.

Thanks.

I have a hunch the 2017 RAF £2 is going to be popular, no idea about Austen or the Newton 50p but I'll be snapping them up too.

You also may be able to make a quick buck on the 28th of this month if you're able to get your hands on a bag or two of uncirculated 12-sided pounds - either flog them straight away to capitalise on the novelty factor, or hold them for the long term. A similar opportunity may come along with the new polymer £10 notes in September - as with the fivers; low serial numbers, sequential numbers, novelty serials such as AK47, and mint condition will all assist resell value.

Finally, the Royal Mint are selling uncirculated pound coins billed as "the last round pound" at £10 apiece. At that price they may represent a decent opportunity for speculation.

Best of luck :beer:
    : )
  • I've got about £100 cashback from Amex Cashback card. I've stopped using that card now, and have moved on to their BA card as collecting Avios points is more important to me now than cashback.

Rather than waste £100 on everyday pointless things, what should I spent it on that will appreciate in 2 years?
    Spend the £100 on an advertising campaign and printed leaflets entitled
    Send me £5 and I'll show you the secret of making yourself rich just by sitting at home.

Then when the fivers come flooding into your house post box, you send each of the punters a pre-prepared document saying:
    "The secret of making yourself rich just by sitting at home is to start an advertising campaign entitled
    Send me £5 and I'll show you the secret of making yourself rich just by sitting at home"
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Buy £100 of petrol and store in your bath (and sink if required).

Hope you forgot to add an emoji:cool:
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    badger09 wrote: »
    Hope you forgot to add an emoji:cool:

You're right - is there an emoji for 'hedging bets and filling the sink with diesel'?
  • novice_1
    novice_1 Posts: 11 Forumite
    If this thread is serious, and you have storage, then you can beat interest rates by buying the things you will consume over the next two years and keeping them.

Sterling is already down and inflation is on the way. If you can buy and store in advance and the things you need are non-perishable, then get going. Worst case scenario, you've lost the opportunity cost of what you COULD have bought and prices stay flat. Anything above that is a gain.

Great advice. Stock up now on cans of tuna, wine, chocolate etc that will increase in price in medium term.
  • Retro games consoles are increasing in value and within your budget. Get one in good condition with a box and you certainly will not lose any money on it.
  • Buy something that gives you pleasure or utility while you own it. When you come to sell it on, if you break even, you still had that enjoyment or use. If you make a profit that's even better.

Examples: a second hand bicycle, a second hand cement mixer, a signed print of a painting you like.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Finally, the Royal Mint are selling uncirculated pound coins billed as "the last round pound" at £10 apiece.

they're selling coins (plural) as "the last round pound"!? have you contacted trading standards?
  • they're selling coins (plural) as "the last round pound"!? have you contacted trading standards?
    I might get a round tuit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport