Drying Washing in a Cupboard?

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I used to dry things in the airing cupboard and leave the door ajar. It worked well, but it was warm because of the hot water tank. I didn't do much at once, just a couple of those sock airer things that look like an octopus.

I would get a freestanding airer and try it out. If it doesn't work, you can move the airer elsewhere - somewhere warm and with a window would be good. Is the cupboard somewhere that you could leave the door completely open sometimes?
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The tumble dryer can go in the cupboard! We had ours in a cupboard for 3-4 years and never had any problems.
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    The tumble dryer can go in the cupboard! We had ours in a cupboard for 3-4 years and never had any problems.

There's no electricity points in the cupboard so I'd have to run wires from the hall, which is not particularly the look I want in the entrance. I don't particularly want - nor can I really afford - to buy a dryer at this stage
  • sysadmin
    sysadmin Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We use our DriBuddy daily and its excellent - had it about 3 ir 4 years and if it broke tomorrow id go out and replace it immediately.

It just saves having piles of clothes hung in view on a airier or over a radiator
  • In the future if you can afford a drier it would probably be pretty easy to install a socket in the cupboard, my Dad did this for me by extending off of a socket on the other side of the wall. My condensing drier lived very happily in the cupboard for many years!
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Here's the Lakeland heated dryers, I would definitely replace mine immediately if it broke down.
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/drysoon/
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    At a previous house we re-used the redundant airing cupboard as a drying space. Once the big old water tank was removed (condenser boiler installed) we had a socket put in there for the dehumidifier and a three tier expanding metal clothes horse both fitted in perfectly. No wet washing.

Now we're back in Scotland we use the spare bedroom and dehumidifier just the same on days when the sun isn't out.
  • If the cost of a dryer is a problem, consider looking on Freecycle. That's where I got one for my daughter.

Mine is in my kitchen, in the space under the stairs. However, I'm thinking of moving it into my bedroom as it will free up space that I need downstairs. There's only me and my kids that ever go into my bedroom, so I'm not bothered about the dryer being there.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sorry, it doesn't answer your original question but I find that hanging as many items as possible on hangers helps to save space and hurries drying which might help in your situation. They can also be moved around on to over-door hangers etc to finish off. I used to use a cheap hanging rail on the landing which could easily be wheeled into a spare bedroom if I wanted them out of sight! Using the heat that rises over the stairs makes a big difference.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Surprised so many people have tumble driers. Aren't they ridiculously expensive to run? and damage clothes?
    If you have the space to put airers or a garden to dry clothes you will save a fortune surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure