Best cheap cat litter?

Comments

• pixie76
    pixie76 Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    The Tesco one is excellent quality for the price and is better than a lot of the more expensive ones.
    ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ :EasterBun
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I have two cats and four litter trays spread about the house. Personally I would not pay the high prices for the supposedly better quality litters. I find Morrisons Value the best. I put about an inch in the bottom of the tray. I have one cat that will bury solids and one that leaves it on the top. After they have wee'd I tilt the tray and shake the clean litter gently to one end, exposing the clump stuck to the bottom. Easy to remove with a childs plastic spade. A bag lasts me ages, I only wash out the trays periodically when they get a bit whiffy.

Tesco's Value is ok, but doesn't clump as well as Morrisons, it's about the same price £1.50 or thereabouts. When Tesco had the offer on of buy 2 get 1 free, I stocked up, now I am mixing it with the Morrisons.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tcr wrote: »
    We're recent converts to World's Best cat litter, it was recommended by the local Cat Protection volunteer. We've two cats & have been previously using cheapo stuff mixed in with Catsan.

World's Best costs about £18-£20 for a 7.5 kg sack, umpteen places to get it online, started using it a week ago today and only topped the tray up last night. The pee clumps brilliantly, never seen anything like it ... you just scoop that out with the solids and the tray's as good as new. Apart from the stink bomb when the cat's just used it, there's very little odour at all.

Seriously, give it a try, bit pricey to begin with but it seems to last ages, well impressed.

Glad to find another user, it's hard to describe it, but it's brilliant isn't it! Oh to get excited about cat litter, but we do :o
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    World's Best costs about £18-£20 for a 7.5 kg sack,

Wow, that is expensive - the ones I mentioned before in my psts come at £5.50 for 7kg and ... pls try it, simply try it.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    I'm a bit wary of clay-based litter for a few reasons so prefer the wood or corn based clumping litter; so another oko-plus convert here (worlds best was good too but didn't like the corn smell!). With two adult cats who are allowed out during the day (only) I worked out we spend around £1 a week on litter.
    A bonus of the wood/grain based litters like oko-plus and worlds best is that the soiled litter clumps can be flushed down the toilet which may be a bonus if you're in a flat. On the other hand it does track a bit and we have the dustbuster out a few times a week to keep the area around the tray tidy.
  • Having gone from non clumping cheap stuff to gel crystals to clumping to catsan .. I've pretty much tried them all. and with 2 cats and a super jumbo tray, it can cost a fortune!

Im using Oko Plus at the minute. A 20l bag is £12 and this lasts me a good 2-3 months. I was spending £5 a month with the standard clumping stuff for 1 cat! It really is worth it. Tracks like a !!!!!! but if you have a doormat (the really bristly ones) placed around the tray it grabs the litter...

Buy online as its MUCH cheaper.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    you can buy track mats for the litter trays, we recently got one as our newest manages to walk it everywhere! How the other two never did I don't know!!
  • crafty*kate
    crafty*kate Posts: 158 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you all so much....I never realised that so many people would be willing to share their experiences, this forum is a wonderful place.

I have tried the Morrisons value stuff but I find that I am using a lot of it as it's not very absorbant, and it's very heavy when wet. I'm trying the Sainsburys clumping at the moment, and I'll move on to the other ones and try them all. I never really thought about getting it delivered online, but actually that's a really good idea and will save me lugging it from the shops!
  • tcr_3
    tcr_3 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Wow, that is expensive - the ones I mentioned before in my psts come at £5.50 for 7kg and ... pls try it, simply try it.

Ok we'll give it a try (well, the cats will) :beer:

I know World's Best seems extortionate. But apart from one top up last week, our cats are still using the same (World's Best) litter they were two Sundays ago. It's not like we're being miserly with it either, it simply doesn't need changed as often as the cheapo stuff they'd previously been using. So that's been a revelation in itself.

The other thing is ... you don't have all the hassle of completely emptying a tray every other day, bagging it, lugging it out to the wheelie bin. Nor have you got the clouds of dust produced when you refill the tray, the World's Best stuff doesn't seem to generate much dust at all. And no more supermarket trips for cat litter ... or forgetting to buy it etc etc ... for us the online ordering is pretty nifty. It's 100% biodegradable too.

We got our 7.5 kg bag from https://www.zooplus.co.uk. Cost £19.99. But they're doing 5% off your first order & free delivery on anything more than £19.00 so it saved a wee bit doing it that way.

We're so enchanted with this new cat litter that it became a conversation point at the weekend when my GF's sister came to visit !

And how sad's that ?! VERY !
    I no longer contribute to the Benefits & Tax Credits forum.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tcr wrote: »
    Ok we'll give it a try (well, the cats will) :beer:

We got our 7.5 kg bag from www.zooplus.co.uk. Cost £19.99.

Well, please do try the ones I recommended a page earlier in another post, at £5.45 per 7kg they are nearly a quarter of what you are paying now (if 7 litres is the same as 7 kg) - come back and let us know.

For yearssssssssssssssss I was against clumping litter and only ever used the wood based one, finally got convinced to try the clumping, tried a few, realised that the cheap ones (Tesco for example) does not clump at all, is way too coarse and a lot of waste and then tried PAH own clumping one (£5.50 got 5 kg) and spotted the Clean'N Tidy there - never looked back. Absolutely no waste whatsoever and all can be picked up so whatever stays in the tray is clean litter. BUt I do have a scoop with very fine holes ie lines or whatever - the litter is like sand in consistency.

Hope it works for you ;) I mean - for your cats... LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport