Mystery shopping thread 26 *please read the op first**please no client names or fees

Comments

• Doc_N wrote: »
    You've obviously not had any dealings with HGEM (Mystery Dining)! Minimal reimbursements in most cases (well under £10 for reports taking as long as a couple of hours) and very few restaurants these days - mainly fast food outlets.

Depends on the area you live in. I've had to do a low reimbursement visit with this company only once. Their clients are not all sandwich chains, it's mostly high street restaurants. Luxuries pop up every so often as well. The weird thing is that the sandwich chain reports are so demanding - you need to take photos, ask questions, count items. I've never really been tempted.

But yes, reports can take ages. So far the most demanding reports have been with Coyle. And not just reports, they might nonchalantly ask you for as many as 20 timings.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    whiteslice wrote: »
    Depends on the area you live in. I've had to do a low reimbursement visit with this company only once. Their clients are not all sandwich chains, it's mostly high street restaurants. Luxuries pop up every so often as well. The weird thing is that the sandwich chain reports are so demanding - you need to take photos, ask questions, count items. I've never really been tempted.

But yes, reports can take ages. So far the most demanding reports have been with Coyle. And not just reports, they might nonchalantly ask you for as many as 20 timings.

Are you in the London area by any chance? Outside London we see very few restaurants these days, though even a couple of years back it was very different.

'Mystery Diner' became something of a misnomer when it became more to do with snacking that dining, but I suppose HGEM sounds rather better than 'Mystery Snacker'!

There are complaints, as you'll know, on the internal forums about the level of reimbursement, and its not covering the cost of meals. I have no idea how the HGEM reimbursements compare with those of other operators, but I suspect they're considerably lower.
  • Doc N, fair comment. I am in the London area, and I understand we get a much sweeter deal than people in other areas. Let alone we don't have to drive for miles, as is often the case if you are in a rural location. However, even in my area I have noticed that the reimbursements have not been growing along with the menu pricing. I regularly dine with three other companies and two of them offer good reimbursements (i.e. covers whatever you are eating as long as you don't go for the most expensive item). The third one can be a bit borderline just like HGEM - their reimbursements depend very much on the client.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Looks like HGEM is very much the poor relation then, whiteslice, in terms of what they reimburse.

Outside the London area it amazes me that so many people will happily travel 50-100 miles each way for a £35 dine with HGEM - just to get one that isn't a fiver or so for fast food.

What a waste of time and travel costs for such a minimal return, and, as you commented on the other thread, the loyalty and gratitude to HGEM is unbelievable. I'm afraid I see HGEM as increasingly rapacious and I rarely do anything for them these days because it just isn't worth the time and inconvenience. Even the rare ones that aren't fast food usually involve no more than £35 tops, and it's just not worth the bother.

These days I only take anything with a minimum of £60 - and rather more if it involves any travelling. Maybe one a year?
  • LiveToBat wrote: »
    Can anyone say where the posh sandwich shops have gone (from MF)? Thanks.

I spoke to them about 10 days ago asking when I would see those jobs again (as I was certain the month had passed) and they said they are no longer doing them. I cheekily asked if posh sandwich shop had just stopped MSing their stores but unsurprisingly person on phone told me they didn't know and the loss was very sudden!
    HTH someone
  • Lots of hotels on Quest/SM today. The reimbursements are a bit miserly, but perhaps someone needs a break :)
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Apologies for the lateness, and the seeming randomness of this. I had totally forgotten I was meant to post on here back in April to inform people, I only remembered when I was clearing through emails and spotted a PM email.

Sadly my lovely husband, Graeme, died from cancer in April, hence his disappearance from your thread.

He was terminally ill, but his death was very sudden & unexpected when it hit.

Sorry to those who've asked him questions since then that have gone unanswered. It completely slipped my mind.

Julie
  • Hello Julie, I was one of those people asking questions, using FB, and received the sad news from them. My thoughts are with you especially at this time of the year. Best wishes. xx
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Do jks provide invoices when they pay you? I'm not sure if I've been paid right.
  • Shame about MF sandwich shops. They were handy especially if going into London, inevitably one needed visiting in the vicinity of your appointment etc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback