PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Awful repair job by Landlord's Contractors

Options
Hello everybody,

I live in a rented property, and we unfortunately required the boiler to be changed. Our landlord was fantastic, organised for a Combi unit to be installed . This is where it goes Pete Tong.

I was woken at 8am (I was working nights at this point) with a frantic call from the estate agent shouting down the phone the contractors were on the way and we MUST let them in (otherwise the Landlord would be charged for their time) - being pretty normal, despite not getting 24 hours notice, we of course let them in. At this point we had been told it was less than a days job and we'd have hot water/heating by that night. Low and behold.. we had no hot water/heating, until the next night. Showering etc impossible and as this happened in early November pretty cold!

Secondly, the contractors were terrible - they left the place in an absolute state, dust and mess and walls/carpets marked every single room, they replace a boxed in unit with a Combi shoved in a corner (not boxed in), they'd used 3 towels to clean up a leak and left soaking, they'd used our hoover to vacuum up water. I even had the tenant in the flat beneath me come up to complain there was water pouring through her ceiling - thankfully the Chuckle Brothers were still on site to rectify this mistake.

After they left, we realised we STILL had no heating, water OK. Without knowing the technical ins/outs they'd forgotten to activate/ switch on the boiler. We had another contractor out for this (paid for by estate agent). Since the install we've had the other contractors out 3x - to "activate the boiler", to re-pressurise it and then to show me how to re-pressurise it, as well as being told we now needed to get new radiators throughout as they can't handle the Combi pressure.

Long story short, I feel that we (as tenant's) should not be obliged to pay a full months rent, seeing as in one calender month we have been without heating/hot water a total of 5 nights, huge amounts of time cleaning the flat, have had 3 bath towels ruined, have had our hoover used (without permission) to vacuum up water and have had to go and purchase new inner lining, and have had a load of distress and disruption a) due to less than 24 hours notice of the install and b) quater-backing "operation recovery" ... Do we have legal rights here? We've asked the Landlord (via EA) for a 25% off considering the above factors.

Thank you!

Comments

• theartfullodger
    Options
    You write (yes, WRITE) to landlord (yes, landlord), copy agent, keep a copy, listing the issues as outlined in Shelter's website on reporting repairs with private landlord.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Invoice for any damages and leave it at that.

I regularly re-pressurise the boiler, it takes 30 seconds.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »

then you have a leak somewhere
  • Jhpt
    Jhpt Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »

Yeah re-pressurising isn't a problem at all - but 3 call outs for another contractor in the 2 weeks following a job means it hasn't been done well at all! Would you not argue that paying full whack rent when 5 days the flat was borderline un-liveable in isn't quite right?
    You write (yes, WRITE) to landlord (yes, landlord), copy agent, keep a copy, listing the issues as outlined in Shelter's website on reporting repairs with private landlord.

Have done - via the agent but it ended up in the same place, although great advice I'm viewing Shelter's website now! Cheers
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems that the LL needs to take the matter up with the contractors first. The LL cannot be held directly responsible for all their actions.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Jhpt wrote: »
    Would you not argue that paying full whack rent when 5 days the flat was borderline un-liveable in isn't quite right?

No. Not at all.

The lack of a working boiler does not make the property unlivable. Last time I had a boiler issue it took 2 weeks to get it sorted, and I was the owner, not renting.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank God you did not have to pay for the Chuckle brothers as well.
    Cost me £4300 to replace my home boiler last year.
    This new modern boiler should reduce your gas bill over the next few months/years
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You said the hot water was working but not the heating. Was this what was not working for 5 days or was it both hot water and heating not working for 5 days?

To me, it looks as though you didn't have heating for 5 days, but had hot water throughout.
  • Jhpt
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Seems that the LL needs to take the matter up with the contractors first. The LL cannot be held directly responsible for all their actions.

Completely agree - I get on with my LL pretty well, haven't blamed her at all and we've both agreed contractors fault. It HAS been a month now so there's been ample time for this to be sorted!
    Slithery wrote: »
    No. Not at all.
    The lack of a working boiler does not make the property unlivable. Last time I had a boiler issue it took 2 weeks to get it sorted, and I was the owner, not renting.

Well I'd argue that less than 24 hours notice that you can't wash at home and have no heating isn't great when paying a fortune in rent. I think it's a little different renting/ owning; part of my contract is paying for a liveable environment, your mortgage pays for bricks/mortar...
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    Thank God you did not have to pay for the Chuckle brothers as well.
    Cost me £4300 to replace my home boiler last year.
    This new modern boiler should reduce your gas bill over the next few months/years

wow.. that's ridiculous!
  • Jhpt
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    You said the hot water was working but not the heating. Was this what was not working for 5 days or was it both hot water and heating not working for 5 days?

To me, it looks as though you didn't have heating for 5 days, but had hot water throughout.

We were without hot water for 3 days, without heating for 5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport