Part payment query

OK here goes.
Due to financial difficulties I ran up CSA arrears.
The child no longer qualifies so the case is closed but I have arrears to pay which I have been doing.
Was advised to go for a part-payment settlement. The CSA were happy with the amount I offered but here's the problem.

They have tried calling and sending letters to the mother about this agreement but she isnt responding at all so without her approval I'm currently in limbo.

I've not been I contact with her for over 19 years so I have no idea where she is. It appears the CSA have no idea either.

Any idea where I stand or what can I do?

Will I have to now pay the full arrears even though it appears the mother doesn't care enough to respond? Would the CSA agree on her behalf or even write off the whole debt? I was hoping to get this sorted ASAP but this is an obstacle I had not forseen.

Comments

• WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Who is the money owed to? If your ex was on certain benefits then the money may be owed to the Secretary of State in which case they would have the authority to write it off.

Their saying they are contacting your ex though suggests that the money is owed to her in which case they won't be able to agree on her behalf. There must be some idea where she is as they must be passing on the money you pay by some means.

If the money is owed to her and she won't agree to a lower amount, or chooses not to respond to requests, then there is nothing you can do other than pay off the full amount.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    I find it very hard to believe they can’t find her. If they can access your tax records from HMRC surely they can access hers. Tax records, DVLA and other government agencies at whow they trace non resident parents.

CMS and HMRC have a working relationship.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure