PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Comments

• Staying on the shampoo theme, I wash my hair everyday but have started to condition it every other day (especially when not going to work). It doesn't seem to make much difference but is easier to comn after conditioner.

Our shower head holder (?) has broken so while waiting for a replacement we have to turn off the shower to wash face/shampoo hair etc which is saving loads of water!
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    My latest idea is to get a wind-up radio and stop using the radio in our kitchen, which would cut a bit from usage of electricity. We use it only on weekends, so it would prob take a while to pay for itself, but it will take up less room and I'd feel better...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • this is a great thread - i am subscribing so when i actually can afford my own place i'll have all this money saving knowledge!
    Cc debt; £4950 Tesco - £3.37 Boots - £3.94 £2 pot - £0.00 Sealed pot NO40 - £7.87 no spend days jan-3/31 £2 savers = £6
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    I can vouch for the wind up radio; also the torch---both acquired thru Robert Dyas when on offer...oh hang on....the radio was a requested gift cuz I was fed up with buying batteries:D

Used the torch at the week-end & it gives a perfectly adequate light on just a few turns of the handle.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• shetitasatic
    shetitasatic Posts: 209 Forumite
    My DH loves Tartare Sauce with fish - we have to have fish and HM wedges every friday so he can get his fix. When we go abroad I bring back jars of capers etc to make my own. When these run out I resort to cheating! Tartare sauce, like everything else has shot up in price lately, so when I open a new jar I decant up to half into an old clean jar and top it up with mayonnaise and give a good stir. If it doesn't taste 'piquant' enough a tiny splash of vinegar or lemon juice does the trick! He hasn't sussed it yet - and I get 2 jars out of one!
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My latest idea is to get a wind-up radio and stop using the radio in our kitchen, which would cut a bit from usage of electricity. We use it only on weekends, so it would prob take a while to pay for itself, but it will take up less room and I'd feel better...

Hey I got a brand new one of these still in the packaging from a Boot fair for £1.50.

It is quite small but also has a torch. I thought "That has to come in handy some time" - I think it lasts for about fifteen minutes after so much winding. I keep in my kitchen incase we have a power cut.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Bought OH 8 shower gels when they were reduced to 50p each in tescos.

Always use a sponge for shower gel, it goes so much further and I can make 1 bottle last for about 6 months this way!!
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    Following on from the shower gel, I always use Original Source, it's quite expensive, though usually it's half price somewhere, but the smell is so strong, you only need the tiniest amount. I use Simple soap, and then a tiny squeeze of OS.
    Also their Mint and Tea Tree shaving foam is quite reasonably priced, and the tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    larmy16 wrote: »
    Hey I got a brand new one of these still in the packaging from a Boot fair for £1.50.

It is quite small but also has a torch. I thought "That has to come in handy some time" - I think it lasts for about fifteen minutes after so much winding. I keep in my kitchen incase we have a power cut.

Hi Larmy - firstly I love your pic :D also must keep an eye out then at local boot fairs... was thinking of paying around £10 but you have made me think again :T

Teria - I got some of the bath foam from M&S - it's only £1 for a litre if I remember correctly. I then use this as handwash (decant into handwash pump) and as a shower gel too. As it's a litres worth, and I use a shower puff, lasts ages. I got my EL a 'blue manly' one :rolleyes: so he's happy too :p
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use the 10p shower gel from Tesco for quite a bit of my cleaning. Watered down in a spray bottle with a dash of vinegar, I find it makes great work of cleaning windows.

I also use it in the handwash bottles too. It smells fine and is quite thick in texture.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills