Owing debt to British Gas

[FONT=&quot]I am a single parent who owes arrears to British Gas. Over £1,000.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I tried to come to an agreement for arrears and they said theyre is a form we can send you to fill in who can assist in writing your debt off?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As I await for this form they have sent me a letter advising they have a warrant to exchange this meter to a prepayment meter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How do I stop them from doing this. I have tried to negotiate a plan with them and they are even advising not to pay future payments until this form has been sent / returned so again I'm getting deeper in debt for not paying for gas at the moment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am only a part time single parent, what can I do?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

Comments

• CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi daz69kay, thank you for your query regarding Debt Owing to British Gas
    Firstly you need to be aware that gas arrears are a priority debt and non-payment can lead to disconnection or a forced installation of a prepayment meter as in your case. The form they are talking about is an application form to the British Gas Energy Trust fund which can help people with one off grants to pay for utility arrears and sometimes other costs. You don't have to wait for them to send out the form as it can be completed online at www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk. If you require assistance completing the form you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau which you can find at www.citizensadvice.org.uk. I would suggest that you put the application in asap and then contact British Gas and ask them to suspend the warrant whilst they process the application. If they do not agree to do this I would suggest you seek debt advice straight away. If you have other debts which you are struggling to pay I would also suggest you seek advice from a debt adviser as they can discuss other options such as a Debt Relief Order or Bankruptcy but these options can only be discussed after a full assessment of your circumstances has been made.
    Hope this if of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • So how long have you been waiting for this 'form' to arrive? I'm sure We would all like to get this 'form', as it means we won't have to pay our gas bills anymore.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    What is the problem with a repayment meter?
    Seems like it is ideal for you.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The form will be to apply for a grant from the hardship fund to relieve the existing debt. The pre-pay meter is to ensure that you do not get into the situation again. If I were BG I would insist that a pp meter was a condition of help from the fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure