Cabot unknown entry

Options
hi, Last month I received a letter from Cabot credit management announcing they have bought a debt from the RBS. I telephoned them as I didn't recognise it at all, i told the lady who answered, I have recently had a mortgage with the RBS and currently have a credit card and large overdraft facility. She ask me to confirm that I didn't know anything about it and I was pretty much the end of the call.

I checked my credit file as i do every month and last month on the 01/10/2017 they have added this defaulted account to my credit file. It states that the account started 01/08/2006 also states the account was settled 24/02/2012.

My question is, will this be removed from my credit file February/March 2018 or will it be six years from October 2017. I believe its a nightmare to get this cabot outfit to remove entries to credit files so am thinking of just hanging on till spring.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    My question is, will this be removed from my credit file February/March 2018 or will it be six years from October 2017. I believe its a nightmare to get this cabot outfit to remove entries to credit files so am thinking of just hanging on till spring.

Likely neither. If the account says defaulted, then it will be removed 6 years from the initial recorded default date.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • nataliew123
    Options
    Hi thanks for such a swift reply. Not quite sure what you mean, as it doesn't state 'an initial recorded default date' it just says account started 08/2006 and account settled 02/2012.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    You said it was defaulted. So there should be a default date.

If not actually recorded as a default, then it will drop six years from the settled date.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    hi, Last month I received a letter from Cabot credit management announcing they have bought a debt from the RBS. I telephoned them as I didn't recognise it at all, i told the lady who answered, I have recently had a mortgage with the RBS and currently have a credit card and large overdraft facility. She ask me to confirm that I didn't know anything about it and I was pretty much the end of the call.

I checked my credit file as i do every month and last month on the 01/10/2017 they have added this defaulted account to my credit file. It states that the account started 01/08/2006 also states the account was settled 24/02/2012.

Thanks in advance

If you don't recognise the debt, why are you so laid back about being given a default?? Do you realise how damaging they are? I would be up in arms about it and would most certainly not be waiting around hoping that it would drop off! Imagine if you were in the middle of a mortgage application! You do realise that if they have placed this debt against you/your credit files, that someone has used your ID and falsely applied for a bank account/credit card and run up debt in your name. Who's to say you won't find other accounts later?

Have you checked all 3 files to see what it shows as on there?

[FONT=&quot]The free versions to check your credit files are below:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Experian: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Equifax: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.clearscore.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Call Credit: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.noddle.co.uk[/FONT]
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure its defaulted? If so there should be a default date, which could be before feb 2012.

When you say you did not know about them, do you mean they were yours and you didn't know they were still outstanding, or they weren't yours. If it was settled in 2012, had you paid this then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure