Credit score and electoral roll

Hi all,

First post here, not sure if it's in the right sub forum but just looking for some advice. Sorry it's a tad long. I am in a bit of a pickle regarding the electoral roll. Recently checked my credit score to see that the current address wasn't correct. I moved to Somerset from Sussex last August 2016. We stayed with family for 7 months in a property which they were renting. Here comes the first difficult part, we were not put onto the tenancy agreement as we knew we'd only be temporarily staying. So in the rush and stress, we also did not inform our old and new council that we moved. We did change address with banks. Fast forward to March of this year and we moved into a rented flat. Again we only changed our address with banks, so we forgot to sort out the electoral roll until recently. We received a letter which still had the previous occupant as living here so I responded with our details and crossed out the previous occupant.

However, we now have register to vote forms. The change of address part concerns me. It states on the form 'Have you recently changed address in the last 12 months' Of course that's a yes, but I'm concerned that if I put yes and put the old address of the family we stayed with, would that then come back to their estate agent/landlord? I don't want them to get into trouble which I know is silly as we put ourselves into this issue by not thinking it all through. But seeing that address is on file with our banks surely it'll be ok. But if I select yes and put our previous Sussex address which we were registered at, it was 15 months ago, would this not be a failure to provide true information? I'm fretting so much as I feel no matter what I do there will be consequences. I can only otherwise try and stretch out registering until March when I could select no on the form by then, only problem is that they are pushing for response by Nov 22nd probably so they are ready to publish the new register by 1st Dec. We are likely to be living in this flat for a while and I wanted to sort out the electoral roll for when we may eventually try for mortages/credit cards etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• I'm concerned that if I put yes and put the old address of the family we stayed with, would that then come back to their estate agent/landlord?

No, it won't be reported to their landlord however it may be passed from your local council to their local council to ensure you are removed from their electoral roll records. You weren't registered there so it will come to nothing. In theory their local council could check this against council tax records to make sure your family member was not claiming a single person discount while you were staying there. Other than that, nothing to worry about.
  • SomersetShortcake
    SomersetShortcake Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 11 March at 10:49AM
    [quote=[Deleted User];73424909]No, it won't be reported to their landlord however it may be passed from your local council to their local council to ensure you are removed from their electoral roll records. You weren't registered there so it will come to nothing. In theory their local council could check this against council tax records to make sure your family member was not claiming a single person discount while you were staying there. Other than that, nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your response, I have a bad feeling that the single person discount you mentioned may be applicable... :( I'd have to double check but it's such a complicated situation. If that's the case, what would you suggest?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure