Recruitment Agencies Are Useless!!

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ha ha! I am finding the same frustrations. Same jobs on all the boards. Hardly ever receive acknowledgments. Its not hard to send an auto acknowledgement! If you do get to the interview stage they become your best mate ( anticipating the commission) then drop you like rubbish if you don't get selected. My personal hate is the ads that have statements telling you if you don't hear back in x time assume you have not been selected. Lazy...... No, agencies don't want to help job seekers they just want commission.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They are just lazy and have no idea how to match a position to an application. I am sick of waiting for calls back from agencies.
    Or even a reply

With respect - they're not - or they wouldnt be in business.

Remember they work for (and get paid by) the employer. They arent there to help YOU find a job, they are there to find an employee for a job.

The trick is -
    • Make sure you have at least 80% of the required attributes for the job
    • Ensure your experience for those required attributes is described and clearly worded in your CV
    • Send in your CV and move on. If you are among their top candidates on paper, they will contact you. If you are not they wont. Dont sit around waiting.

You CV will be scanned either by an automated program or by a very low level admin person for keywords. The best of the CVs will then get given to someone who will actually read it. The best of those will get a call back.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Anybody know any good ideas of how to !!!! these agencies off? I'm thinking of spamming them with fake CVs or somethin.

Maybe applying for their jobs with farcical information.

Heres a good idea - concentrate on getting a job?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I got another rejection today so decided instead of getting annoyed, to email the recruiter and ask if he sees something obviously wrong on my CV as I'm getting so many knock backs. He suggested changing my job title as its confusing / doesn't accurately sum up my duties. Hopefully this might help. However.... I'm a bit concerned I might be seen to be lying!
    Just had a call from an agency telling me congratulations I'm through to the next stage of a job I applied for. Only I didn't apply for the £8 an hour job they had on offer.....I applied for an assistant manager role that mysteriously doesn't exist anymore! Fishing.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I got another rejection today so decided instead of getting annoyed, to email the recruiter and ask if he sees something obviously wrong on my CV as I'm getting so many knock backs. He suggested changing my job title as its confusing / doesn't accurately sum up my duties. Hopefully this might help. However.... I'm a bit concerned I might be seen to be lying!
    Just had a call from an agency telling me congratulations I'm through to the next stage of a job I applied for. Only I didn't apply for the £8 an hour job they had on offer.....I applied for an assistant manager role that mysteriously doesn't exist anymore! Fishing.

When you say knock backs, I assume you mean knock backs from agencies and not direct employers? If that's true, I'm not really surprised. (and that's NOT a personal comment to you)

I personally would treat any 'advice' you get from a recruitment agent, with extreme caution... shall I say? Most of them are complete sh*t for brains, and don't really have a clue what they're talking about.

Agencies 'phish' all the time! They'll try every trick in the book, and I mean every trick in the book... to get references from you!
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jbond wrote: »
    Most of them are complete sh*t for brains, and don't really have a clue what they're talking about.

C_5GZ3HXUAEr5od.jpg
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 6:44PM
    motorguy wrote: »
    With respect - they're not - or they wouldnt be in business.

Remember they work for (and get paid by) the employer. They arent there to help YOU find a job, they are there to find an employee for a job.

The trick is -
    • Make sure you have at least 80% of the required attributes for the job
    • Ensure your experience for those required attributes is described and clearly worded in your CV
    • Send in your CV and move on. If you are among their top candidates on paper, they will contact you. If you are not they wont. Dont sit around waiting.

You CV will be scanned either by an automated program or by a very low level admin person for keywords. The best of the CVs will then get given to someone who will actually read it. The best of those will get a call back.

They don;t even do that, do they?

They constantly ring you up about a job and don;t have a clue what you have written on your CV, ie: they repeatedly ask you questions that they would have got an answer to if they had just glanced for a few seconds at the CV!
  • jbond
    mattcanary wrote: »
    [/B]

They don;t even do that, do they?

They constantly ring you up about a job and don;t have a clue what you have written on your CV, ie: they repeatedly ask you questions that they would have got an answer to if they had just glanced for a few seconds at the CV!

Yes, and then they've got the arrogance and nerve to advise you on what you should and shouldn't be putting on your CV! The bl**dy cheek!
    No wonder their reputation is in the gutter!
  • First of all well done getting a job.
    These Recruitment Agencies give us a bad name, there are good ones out there that tries to help.

They are only after your CV to gain on their database, and as a Recruiter this is very disappointing.

Your CV should be catered around the job. Employers and Recruiters only spend up to 10 seconds viewing your CV, and they use ATS (Keyword Search SEO) to find matching CV'S for their postion.
  • jbond
    mrpbrown22 wrote: »
    These Recruitment Agencies give us a bad name, there are good ones out there that tries to help.

The problem is that there are only say 5% of agencies that ARE any good, and THAT's being generous!
    They are only after your CV to gain on their database, and as a Recruiter this is very disappointing.

Rather interestingly, you left out THE most important point! It isn't JUST about filing your CV, it's about references too!
    Agencies will do ANYTHING to get hold of references, hence why fake jobs are VERY common, just to get references!
    Also, "gain on their database"? That's an odd way of wording it! "gain"? eh?
    Your CV should be catered around the job. Employers and Recruiters only spend up to 10 seconds viewing your CV, and they use ATS (Keyword Search SEO) to find matching CV'S for their postion.

I always wondered why you got calls from agencies, about jobs that weren't even a close match to your skills, or where it's VERY clear that the agent couldn't even be bothered to read your CV properly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure