IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NTK from UK Parking Control

Hi, I've received an NTK from UK Parking Control. The car was allegedly parked on 30/11/2016 and the letter is dated 04/01/2017. The car received a windscreen sticker, and the driver has not been identified. The NTK appears to be POFA-compliant from its wording.

Additionally, the car park in question was very poorly lit with no notice signs present at the entrance, the sign in question was obscured by a large van at the time of parking according to the driver, and the sign probably fails the "large letters and prominence" test in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis. All of this meant the driver never saw the sign or its restrictions in the first place at all.

What would be the best strategy for me (as the registered keeper) to proceed with this?

Images are below (sorry, can't link due to forum restrictions):
NTK: i.imgur.com/hbBBIX9.jpg
Car park, note the dim lighting and absence of signs at the entrance (the kerb ramp onwards): i.imgur.com/yk7Yzn3.jpg
The lone sign in the car park, note its size and position against the wall next to a parking space, which was occupied by a van: i.imgur.com/BOryzDU.jpg
UKPC's photo of the sign: i.imgur.com/SKUZmkv.jpg

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    all explained in the NEWBIES sticky thread near the top of this forum

please read it and follow the advice therein , that is what it is there for , so we dont have to repeat the info a hundred times a day

thank you
  • Yes, I've read the sticky in detail, just wanted to confirm if I have a case, whether they are properly asserting keeper liability and whether the sign in question fails the visibility test.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2017 at 7:26PM
    http://i.imgur.com/hbBBIX9.jpg (NTK)

UKPC NTKs are pretty much compliant these days so it is a shame the keeper waited for it and didn't follow the forum advice and appeal as keep on day 26 after a windscreen PCN. UKPC would have been likely to have then forgotten the NTK altogether.

Never mind, still worth POPLA of course. No-one pays nasty UKPC. You have GREAT signage pics so this is your main point:

http://i.imgur.com/yk7Yzn3.jpg

How dark and unlit?!

And the sign appears to relate to the building and bin waste rules, who would take that as a parking sign:

http://i.imgur.com/BOryzDU.jpg

UKPC's own photo is so engulfed in darkness that the lack of light has forced the employee to shine a torch on it!

http://i.imgur.com/SKUZmkv.jpg

And you STILL can't read any terms and certainly NOT learn about or agree to pay £100 to them. You would have to be psychic to know that £100 parking charge applied to one of the bays out there.

Use the template POPLA appeal point on signage and add (embed into the word doc appeal) your own pics and observations to make that appeal point very long and thorough - this is hardly akin to the clear and prominent signs all over the car park in 'large lettering' that were shown in the Beavis case.

Then add 'no landowner authority' - the template from post #3 of the NEWBIES thread.

And you could add one more appeal point, distinguishing the case from the Beavis case because there was no 'agreement on the charge' without which Mr Beavis would not have been bound.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Awesome, I'll crack on with the process then.
  • hankhill
    hankhill Posts: 5 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just to update this thread on the outcome, after many many weeks of UKPC taking their sweet time (not that it bothered me), they outright decided not to contest the appeal at POPLA. Thanks very much Coupon-mad!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yay, another one bites the dust! :D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 7:14PM
    hankhill wrote: »
    Just to update this thread on the outcome, after many many weeks of UKPC taking their sweet time (not that it bothered me), they outright decided not to contest the appeal at POPLA. Thanks very much Coupon-mad!

Great news :T

Why did they not contest it ?

Because they knew you were right and they were wrong.

Such is the scam operated by UKPC

Such is the stupidity and ignorance of the UKPC own appeals system
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 7:58PM
    Send them an invoice for your time. You will not get any money but it will waste their time and cost them money. If you really want to play hardball, send them a LBA.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure