Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Yes I take the point. But to reiterate, you cannot switch from the "Reward" account and retain the £3 reward!

reiterate vb: To say repeatedly. :)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes I take the point. But to reiterate, you cannot switch from the "Reward" account and retain the £3 reward!

You can switch and retain the reward but you wouldn't get the switching bonus, which would sort of spoil it.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    bigadaj wrote: »
    You can switch and retain the reward but you wouldn't get the switching bonus, which would sort of spoil it.

You've lost me on this. So, for the sake of clarity, let's take this step by step:

1. I have a Halifax Reward account that I've just switched into and now I'm enjoying the £3 per month Reward and I got £75 for switch to Halifax.
    2. I decide to switch from the Halifax Reward account to the Co-op, so that I can get the Co-op's £110 switching bonus.
    3. I duly switch from Halifax Reward to Co-op. The Halifax account closes at the point of switching.
    4. The Halifax account being closed means that I no longer get the £3 monthly Reward, but I retain the £75 switching bonus that I got for joining Halifax.

Is any of that incorrect?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2017 at 7:00PM
    You've lost me on this. So, for the sake of clarity, let's take this step by step:

1. I have a Halifax Reward account that I've just switched into and now I'm enjoying the £3 per month Reward and I got £75 for switch to Halifax.
    2. I decide to switch from the Halifax Reward account to the Co-op, so that I can get the Co-op's £110 switching bonus.
    3. I duly switch from Halifax Reward to Co-op. The Halifax account closes at the point of switching.
    4. The Halifax account being closed means that I no longer get the £3 monthly Reward, but I retain the £75 switching bonus that I got for joining Halifax.

Yes. All is correct. But you will miss out on your £3 reward each month that wouldn't happen with using another account
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite

You can switch your account without using cass, and without getting a switching bonus as it doesn't close your old account. Doing that would maintain your reward, though most would switch and simply open a new Halifax reward account, but it's your decision.
  • MyOnlyPost
    MyOnlyPost Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    It really is simple, before your switch goes through open a new (2nd) Halifax account. Then after the switch you still have a reward account. Add 2x DD and continue as before to get rewards on both Halifax and Co-Op accounts
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    spexs wrote: »
    I am planning to switch to Halifax to get the £75 and then switch to Co-oP to get their £110. I can't find anything in the Halifax Ts&Cs that says I have to keep the account for a certain length of time to avoid a clawback of the £75. Have I missed something or am I looking for a black cat in a dark room? Thanks.

There is no time you have to remain with Halifax, the only downfall could be, being accepted for an new account at Coop after recently opening the Halifax account, as all applications are subject to credit scoring and history therein...

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Thats all correct,

I think what others are suggesting is, to keep your halifax reward account that you have just opened and got the incentive for, (£75) you can either switch other account to COOP and claim their incentive and reward payments, or if you dont have another account to switch, then open a current account with Halifax or any other bank (but probably easier to open one where you already have some history with accounts but not bad history)

Then you switch that account instead, that way you still keep the Halifax Reward account and £3 each month you pay £750 and pay out 2 DD, and say in credit and the £75 already claimed. You will then still get £110 and £4 a month from COOP for paying in £800, signing in using app or internet banking staying in credit and paying out 4 DD.

Hope this helps

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • spexs
    spexs Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't apologise it's funny😂
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    polymaff wrote: »
    reiterate vb: To say repeatedly. :)

From one grammar Nazi to another I don't agree with your correction. It's odd that there is no verb to iterate, so that when you interate more than once you reiterate.

My esteemed Collins English Dictionary for Advanced Learners (a terrific buy at £4.99 from a remainders shop) defines reiterate as 'something you say again, usually to emphasise it'.

So I think Steve was right. He could have used repeat and we wouldn't have had this conversation. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback