Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    Cancelled flight = 250€ compensation. Refer Vauban's Guide.
    Amsterdam hotel = consequential loss therefore not EJ problem. Refer your insurance.

Agree with that, but taking EJ out of the equation, it would make sense for consumers to claim against an airline for other losses incurred by their delays and / or cancellations and for them to have such insurance to claim back on.

@ bcrisp - did EJ only offer a hotel room to 'non-locals'? Or did you have the choice of going home?
    I has an issue with a Thomson delay a few years back and although I live fairly close to the airport, I still opted to stay in a local hotel, along with others delayed. Good job we did as a coach arrived at just after 5am to take us back to the airport. I may have missed the re-scheduled flight time if I had gone home. Finding rooms for 150+ passengers will not be easy of course and may well take finding multiple hotels, as in my case. But, that's their problem and they should have the resources to cover such emergencies.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • sollc
    sollc Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    My father and his sister had their easyjet flight from lgw to isle of man cancelled this morning. They were travelling there to attend their step mother's funeral which was at 11.30am. They didn't find out the flight was cancelled until they got to the airport (text and email were sent at midnight!)

So the only alternative flight easyjet could offer was from Bristol at 2.30pm - too late for the funeral 😈 so they had to head home on the train.

So easyjet will refund the cancelled flight, my question is will they Also refund for return flight (with flybe), taxi, train and car hire? And will they offer any extra compensation - obviously it has been really upsetting having to miss the funeral.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2015 at 8:51AM
    Options
    sollc wrote: »
    So easyjet will refund the cancelled flight, my question is will they Also refund for return flight (with flybe), taxi, train and car hire? And will they offer any extra compensation - obviously it has been really upsetting having to miss the funeral.

Vauban's guide is the best place start
    depending on the reason for the cancellation, €250 may be due as EU261 compensation
    Consequential losses including the separate return flight with a different airline are not covered so you would either use the €250 to cover these or claim from travel insurance assuming it was in place

Edit: assuming this was the EZY851 yesterday (Friday 14th August) the flight appears to have been cancelled due to a technical problem on a prior rotation so EU261 should apply
    info on Easyjet website - http://www.easyjet.com/en/flight-tracker/851

I cannot see any schedules with Easyjet from LGW to IOM today (Saturday)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz, it was yesterday. the OP put enquiry on a new thread ( :( )
    I missed the bit about a Flybe return
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • sollc
    sollc Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Caz, it was yesterday. the OP put enquiry on a new thread ( :( )
    I missed the bit about a Flybe return
    Yes the flight was yesterday, thanks for your help
  • kida
    kida Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2015 at 10:03AM
    Options
    Sorry - this was originally posted on seperate thread and advised to repost here:

6 Persons (including 1 paying child) flying with Easyjet to Munich from Manchester on Sunday 2 August this Year. After embarked advised by pilot that lightening on incoming flight may have caused damage to wing. After inspection this was confirmed and advised to leave aircraft.

Option provided by Easyjet desk was refund or alternative flight 5 Days later from Stansted and family would be bused there and put in hotel.

As this, i believe, was not a reasonable delay to incur I choose to book the cheapest alternative flight from Manchester to Munich with Lufthansa the next day at some considerable expense.

My travel insurance does not cover cancellation.

I paid for all flights with Credit card.

Easyjet's information email doesn't mention the lightning - just stating cancellation caused by "a technical issue on the aircraft"

I recorded the conversation with the easyjet desk advising Stansted option.

I have not accepted the cancellation payment from Easyjet (yet).

Any advice on what, if any, compensation I could claim would be greatly appreciated.

I have read Vauban's guide but want to know if Lightening on incoming flight means I would not be successful in claiming - also would you recommend using Resolver for an Easyjet claim?

Thanks
  • tillyandmo
    Options
    I was flying back from Tenerife South Monday 17 August to Manchester airport.
    all was well the flight was on time. then one hour into our flight a cabin crew member had a seizure, we were then diverted to Morocco, Cassablanca so he could be seen by a dr.
    three hours after touch down, we were told the co-pilot was going to hospital with the crew member and we could not fly until the next evening as we did not have enough crew to get us back to Manchester, we were told we would be taken to a hotel and receive breakfast and dinner then vouchers when we returned back to the airort and we would fly back to manchester at 8pm on the 18th Aug, they said they had to fly a new crew/pilots over from france, that was the last correspondence i received from any other easy jet member,
    .... we got to the hotel were given keys to a room that didnt have enough beds and that was it. i didn't get any sleep as people from the hotel kept knocking on my door for no real reason. no one knew when we were being picked up we just knew we had to vacate the rooms by 3pm...., i couldn't even ring work to inform them i would not be coming in as my credit was low, the hotel got a phone call at 2,45pm saying were not being picked up until 6pm, but they didnt know why. some of the passengers informed us that we were delayed again (they had checked easy jet website) still nothing from easy jet themselves though , we were told food vouchers would be given at check in. eventually we we were picked up in relays and got to the airport by 6, we asked about the vouchers at check in but the staff did not know anything about them and said ask information so a few of us went to information and they said no go to the gate and ask them so we went to the gate and they said ask information again so were back and forward for ages. finally we went to the boarding gate hungry, thirsty and tired as no one had any money and there we were told when you board we will give you a drink and baguette we had to wait another 2 hours for this. so finally at 9.45pm we were given a baguette and drink.
    we finally left the ground at 10.30pm and landed in Manchester at 01.34 on the 19th .... where do i stand with compensation on this flight, was it exceptional circumstances, can i claim, if so what., i have also had to take the day of work... i know there's a lot of information but wanted to give as much info as i could. Thank you.
    ps the cabin crew was ok.
  • benschita
    benschita Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have re-sent this to customer services as I haven't heard anything from the last one 2 weeks ago.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DEDICATED EMAIL ADDRESS OR FAILING ALL ELSE SHOULD I PASS THIS OVER TO A NWNF FIRM?

benschita wrote: »
    So, decided to follow up the disappointing response to my original letter with the following. The response from easyJet, to my first letter, is also quoted below.
    I shall be sending a copy to Carolyn McCall.
    What do you think?

Dear Sir / Madam,
    Re: Compensation claim for delayed flight - Notice Before Action Booking reference: 1098xxxxxxx
    Passengers: Mrs. Lesley xxxxxx
    Mr. Manfred xxxxxx
    Mr.Bruno xxxxxxx
    Mrs. Regina xxxxxx
    Mr. Hubert xxxxxx
    Mrs. Ursula xxxxxx

Further to my letter of 21.07.2015, I have not received a satisfactory response to my compensation claim for flight EZY8530 on 20/10/2011.
    I wish to address the statement made in the reply to my original letter that the time has expired in which I can make a claim due to my present address in Germany. AT THE TIME OF BOOKING I WAS RESIDENT IN THE UK! Should I start legal proceedings I will seek compensation in an English Court of Law! This means that the 6 year law of Contract has not expired.

The judgment of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Tui & others v CAA confirmed the applicability of compensation for delay as set out in the Sturgeon case. This has been subsequently acknowledged by UK courts, including the Supreme Court recently. As such, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this delayed flight. As we were delayed by approximately 4.2 hours, therefore I am claiming €250 per delayed passenger in my party. The total is €1,500.00 for all passengers, plus interest @ 8% p.a. Should you neither settle my claim in full nor provide a full and satisfactory defence to my claim within 14 days of the date of this letter, I reserve the right to issue legal proceedings without giving you further notice in writing.

Yours faithfully,
    Mrs. Lesley Behringer

Dear Lesley

Thank you for contacting easyJet. Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. We have received a large number of enquiries recently which has greatly affected our response time.

Regarding your claim for EU Compensation, as this flight was in 2011, the claim is now time-expired.

Claims for German residents expire 3 years after the end of the calendar year of the disrupted flight in question, and as the flight itself occurred in 2011, the time to claim for EU Compensation expired at the end of 2014.

It is for this reason that I am unable to assist further with your claim for EU Compensation, but I do hope we will be able to welcome you onboard easyJet in the future.

Kind Regards

Neil
    easyJet Customer Services
  • Nook64
    Options
    As a result of an easyjet flight at 08.00am from gatwick to belfast on 20/8/15 being delayed due to a passenger being tasered by police on board the plane. Our flight from alicante to belfast at 22.25pm was delayed 3hrs 14mins . Easyjet told us the gatwick flight was the previous flight to belfast before it flew to alicante to collect us. This is lies as the gatwick flight was in the morning as covered in the media, this would have been enough time to overturn the 2hr delay at gatwick. Easyjet are refusing to compensate. Also the treatment by easyjet or lack of it at alicante was terrible, we were given a €4.50 voucher to spend on food and drinks with a coke costing €3.78. Nobody kept us informed what was happening. with shops and toilets closed and children getting stressed out it was a very trying time. I would like somebody thats website savvy to start a website solely to state if an airline has paid out for delays to anybody on board it. This would benefit people knowing they are entitled to compensation before they have to go through the whole precedure. Any thoughts if its a good idea????
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nook64 wrote: »
    Easyjet told us the gatwick flight was the previous flight to belfast before it flew to alicante to collect us. This is lies as the gatwick flight was in the morning as covered in the media, this would have been enough time to overturn the 2hr delay at gatwick.

There was a return trip from Belfast to Faro in between the Gatwick to Belfast one and going to Alicante. Turnovers are so tight that they couldn't have made up 2 hours.

That said, as the incident occurred on a previous flight and not your one, I understand that means you are still entitled to compensation.

The calculator on Bott and Co agrees.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure