The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

united utilities

I live in the part of Lancashire that is suffering from the contaminated water supplied by united utilities .It is costing a small fortune boiling all water used for cooking and drinking and buying bottled water, I am looking for some redress from the company for their inability to supply water fit for consumption has any one any idea on how to go about it?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    When the matter is resolved I would be pretty certain that Ofwat(the Regulator) and UU will publish guidelines on how to claim.

There isn't much point in instigating claims now until you know how long the situation will last.

If you don't wish to wait you could contact the consumer Council For Water for advice.
  • lonestar1
    lonestar1 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Whats worrying me is the length of time its been going on for and if local schools will open for the new term or as I suspect remain closed as its not very realistic to expect them to boil drinking water for thousands of children.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    lonestar1 wrote: »
    Whats worrying me is the length of time its been going on for and if local schools will open for the new term or as I suspect remain closed as its not very realistic to expect them to boil drinking water for thousands of children.

That problem could be overcome by supplying bottled water.

They interviewed a lady who had to shut her business - a small caf! - so will be in line for considerable compensation.
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    UU have already announced that 'compensation' for having to boil water due to the issues. Although compensation is a poor word to use, it should be a price adjustment or refund due to not receiving safe clean water as per contract.

There is no point doing anything or confirming anything until the restrictions are lifted. The longer it goes on for, the more they will have to offer you in return.

If Bolton is to go by where they had to boil water for a while after an issue at a treatment plant a couple of months back. Everybody received a letter automatically. I don't recall how it was refunded but information will come to you automatically once the situation is at an end.

They have already stated that you will not be able to claim for bottled water because there is still a supply, you just need to boil it, and if you need bottle water for exceptional circumstances then they will supply it if you call them.

Please go and take a look at the UU website and read the FAQ.

I just wish people would stop going way over the top about the situation, just get on with it! Yes, the bug can be quite serious if contracted, and yes I appreciate that some people might have more difficulties than most, but for the vast majority of people are flapping over nothing really. Just have a bit of common sense about you and a bit of forward planning!

For businesses, they will review this on a case by case basis.
  • what will happen just like any other case with ofwat , or phone Co or electricity supplier , is that they will get a big fine , paid to who?
  • frugalpam
    frugalpam Posts: 2,514
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do you live in the area affected, Splank? ;)
  • SplanK
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    frugalpam wrote: »
    Do you live in the area affected, Splank? ;)

I do indeed, and I have 2 young children (2 years and a 7 month old), however we have yet to have an issue with running out of water. Yes, adapt to the situation such as giving he little ones "below head" showers and using a jug of cooled boiled water for their heads.

Annoys me that people are flapping about something so, lets be honest, trivial (in most cases)
  • frugalpam
    frugalpam Posts: 2,514
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fine if you're fit and healthy and can cart round jugs and pans of boiling water, can afford increased elec bills etc etc
    The whole thing is a shambles and on North West tonight it was hinted that it could go on for at least a month or more.
  • SplanK
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I appreciate it maybe difficult for some, however the vast majority of people that are flapping are 'fit and healthy'. Affording increased bills, I am going through maybe 4-5L of boiled water a day so at almost 2L a boil, I do 2-3 boils. Not adding that much to my electric bill and its only slightly more than boiling a kettle for a brew (most people over fill for brews anyway).

A similar thing happened in Wales in the last 10-15 years. That lasted 6 weeks.

My money is it being on a similar timescale. Tracking down the source of the bug, installing counter measures (UV lighting) and then flushing 500 million litres through 2500 miles if pipework takes some time!

Half the problem is that the situation the way it is:
    1. UU is a business and wanting to safe face
    2. UU until about a week ago had no idea of the source. There are plenty of rumors as to what the source was but I am not going to speculate until the report is out and its in black and white.
    3. Size of the network
    4. Some information is been kept close to UU's chest because of an ongoing investigation into the problem that could run into criminal charges.
  • tammy66
    tammy66 Posts: 170
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As u say uu is a business and I see their profits going up every year along with the amount I pay
    I do not think it is unreasonable for a company which has been supplying water for years not to have had contingency plans for events such as this along with the equipment required instead of sitting back and raking in the profits and hoping nothing goes wrong
    What about the unemployed and pensioners who are struggling as it is without having the added burden of extra gas and electricity costs through no fault of their own.
    Not wishing to bring politics into this but as a person who has not voted Labour for many many years I am beginning to wonder if Jeremy Corbin is on the right track
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure