Home Insurance Discussion

Comments

• Users please be aware, I followed the Karcher deal link with Legal and General, and got a quote for buildings and contents cover. Very helpful staff and nice to deal with, HOWEVER, when I commented to the agent that they were still more expensive than another quote, he asked if he could requote without the Karcher code. The premium came DOWN by £160!!!!!!!! That's more than twice the value of the Karcher jet washer.
    A good deal, I think not. It's a shame, because if they had been honest with the price and the incentive was genuine they would have got my business.
    Thought MSE users should be aware.
  • slimbo
    slimbo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Just received Martin's latest email and read that leasehold properties don't need buildings insurance. Does that apply to all leasehold properties, or just flats/apartments, where buildings cover is covered under the maintenance charge? We bought the freehold on our house last year, but have owned it since 2007 and have had buildings insurance all that time. I have never heard this mentioned before and have been a home owner since 1980! Fortunately my previous properties have all been freehold. Insurers should mention this on their websites when obtaining a quote.Grrrr! :mad:
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    slimbo wrote: »
    Just received Martin's latest email and read that leasehold properties don't need buildings insurance. Does that apply to all leasehold properties, or just flats/apartments, where buildings cover is covered under the maintenance charge? We bought the freehold on our house last year, but have owned it since 2007 and have had buildings insurance all that time. I have never heard this mentioned before and have been a home owner since 1980! Fortunately my previous properties have all been freehold. Insurers should mention this on their websites when obtaining a quote.Grrrr! :mad:

What exactly does he say?
  • John_Stone wrote: »
    I know everyone knows how important it is to shop around but, -
    I have been very happy with my Halifax contents insurance. I thought the cover was particularly good for my needs. However it had been going up every year so I idly thought I would check on a comparison site.

Low and behold I found even better policy cover with John Lewis for £148 as opposed to Halifax £456.

I guess I could have beaten Halifax down but John Lewis is a Which best buy and Halifax scores only around 50%, as opposed to JL around 70%.

So I guess the moral of this is trust none and compare every year. (And BOO to Halifax)

My mother recently has a renewal quote for £1020 for her insurAnce renewal with RIAS. She has been with them for years as my father chose them as the best choice when he was alive and they have recently been advertising their 40% off deal for over 50's. Reluctantly she agreed to allow us to get some comparisons and we got like for like at £344! Phoned RIAS and they said they could do it for £486 and that the very high renewal price was because she had been "on the back book". This apparently meant that the renewal was based on old rates - surely this cannot be allowed under FCA regulations . They were effectively sending a renewal without examining the quote at all. There is no benefit in being a loyal customer. Severely disadvantages the elderly who have trouble in using internet. My mother is 92. Is there any way this can be challenged under FCA. It amounts to theft!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    cairndog wrote: »
    Thanks dacouch I went to a local branch of NFU and got £500 off the Halifax quote !!

NFU told me I'd tried them on a previous occasion but the quote was too high. Apparently this was because that quote was given on a "blanket" figure of £500,000 which is what Halifax was using ?

They took details of the house construction , outbuildings, plot size, etc and then we counted the number of rooms. Their quote was then done on that basis and I was given a range of rebuilding values to think about.

Having decided on £300,000 which was near the top end, the quote still came out as half of the Halifax, even with accidental damage.? I was a bit worried about this and having asked a few more questions I went home to discuss it with my husband.

We have now signed up with NFU and still can't believe how much we've saved.

Bit of a late reply to your post but rest assured that NFU frequently top surveys for best customer service and claims service. They're in a different league to Halifax (Most Insurers are) and you benefit from a local service and an Insurer who should you have a claim are used to dealing with current and former farm buildings
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    dacouch wrote: »
    Bit of a late reply to your post but rest assured that NFU frequently top surveys for best customer service and claims service. They're in a different league to Halifax (Most Insurers are) and you benefit from a local service and an Insurer who should you have a claim are used to dealing with current and former farm buildings
    The downside, though, is that NFU Mutual (despite promises) still haven't managed to get an online quotation system up and running, so you have to obtain quotes the long-winded way (and it does take an age).

It also involves coming up with actual valuations for buildings and contents, which may be OK for smaller households but can be very risky for larger ones. The risk of underinsurance is removed with no-limit policies, but NFUM don't sell such policies.
  • LegalandGeneral
    LegalandGeneral Posts: 1 Organisation Representative
    Hi FabGab

We are really sorry to hear that there seems to have been a problem here. We never load premiums for customers coming through from MSE and we have double checked this end.

Would you be able to tell me, did you do a phone home insurance quote first and then try MSE through to L&G?

Thanks
    Russell O'Sullivan
    FabGab wrote: »
    Users please be aware, I followed the Karcher deal link with Legal and General, and got a quote for buildings and contents cover. Very helpful staff and nice to deal with, HOWEVER, when I commented to the agent that they were still more expensive than another quote, he asked if he could requote without the Karcher code. The premium came DOWN by £160!!!!!!!! That's more than twice the value of the Karcher jet washer.
    A good deal, I think not. It's a shame, because if they had been honest with the price and the incentive was genuine they would have got my business.
    Thought MSE users should be aware.
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of David Lloyd Leisure. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • LeaLea89
    LeaLea89 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    We got a brilliant deal with Legal and General, we pay £24.41 per month which covers us for everything we need, contents and buildings which was a fab deal in itself, we then managed to get the deal through MSE for the £70 gift vouchers for Am*zon which arrived yesterday. Bonus!
    SPC6 #116 £652.75
    SPC7 #116 £674.50
    SPC8 #116 £1010
  • Vicky496
    Vicky496 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    Vicky496 wrote: »
    Just been sorting out home insurance (contents only) using the MSE guide...
    First quote was Direct Line £81.62.
    Then I used Confused.com and Tesco came out cheaper at £48.43 less a clubcard discount taking it to £47.05.
    Although, if you do it on Tesco's website without going via Confused I got a quote of £40.49.
    Nearly thought I'd hit jackpot when I saw 'free £40 voucher' on the Tesco site, but that's only if you get the buildings cover too sadly!

BUT then... went via Quidco to use Legal&General... they were on confused for £50.87, but getting the quote from their own website made it £47.88!
    Less £25 cashback...

Final total: £22.88. Not too shabby :D

Surprising news... L&G just sent me a £20 amazon voucher for becoming a new customer!

So assuming they don't use this as a reason not to pay the cashback that means my contents insurance for the year was only £2.88!!!
    Debt Free No Longer Wannabe
    DFD: 25th July 2014
    About to ruin all that and get a mortgage!
  • nilequeen
    nilequeen Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Not sure if this is the right thread for my question,or if I need to start a new thread.
    A friend took out a home insurance policy but failed to declare a possible prosecution which may or may not happen, what could be the worst to happen?
    He did ask why he has to declare and was told insurance companies don`t like it, Can anybody suggest or advise.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback