Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question

Comments

• Hi,

I am using a credit management company to claim back PPI on my behalf. I am fully aware of their fee etc and this is the easiest route as I often don't get any time free to do this myself. However, I received a letter from my bank stating that they are reviewing my case but they are not dealing with that particular credit management company and that they will contact me directly and that it doesn't affect my claim.

Have you heard of something similar happening and what happens to the CMC fee if I am awarded my PPI?

Thanks
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,

I received a letter from my bank stating that they are reviewing my case but they are not dealing with that particular credit management company

Did they give a reason as to why they refuse to deal with the CMC? You need to get it as it could cause problems down the line if the CMC charges you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A credit management company is not the same as a claims management company. If they are not authorised by the Claims Regulator then the bank is acting reasonably in refusing to deal with them.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Some debt/credit management firms also have/had MoJ authorisation for claims I think?

Anyway, people post here saying 'debt management' when they actually mean 'debt collector', 'DMP' when they mean an 'IVA' or vice versa, 'credit management' when they can mean any of the above or something else etc etc....

Symbiosis16 needs to clarify exactly who they have been dealing with, or at least their status.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am fully aware of their fee etc and this is the easiest route as I often don't get any time free to do this myself.

Its not any easier. It takes you less time to deal with the lender than it does a CMC.
    However, I received a letter from my bank stating that they are reviewing my case but they are not dealing with that particular credit management company and that they will contact me directly and that it doesn't affect my claim.
    Tends to happen where the CMC is not authorised to carry out claims management or where the claims company is on the blacklist of the lender (there are plenty of dodgy claims companies).
    Have you heard of something similar happening and what happens to the CMC fee if I am awarded my PPI?

If you previously had a rejection and the review is initiated by the lender then the CMC is not entitled to any fee. This is published in recent guidance. (its not clear from your post if this is the initial complaint or a review as you say review)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Hi,

I am using a credit management company to claim back PPI on my behalf. I am fully aware of their fee etc and this is the easiest route as I often don't get any time free to do this myself. However, I received a letter from my bank stating that they are reviewing my case but they are not dealing with that particular credit management company and that they will contact me directly and that it doesn't affect my claim.

Thanks

Hello Symbiosis16,

We'd be happy to check if the company is authorised for you and to discuss with you possible options you may have. Please give us a call on 0300 555 0333.

Thanks
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    [FONT=&quot]We have been dealing with a number of complaints regarding Mis-sold Products Limited. If you have a complaint against Mis-sold Products Limited, we can now accept these and you do not need to contact Mis-sold Products Limited first.

You can find a complaint form available on our website http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/cmc/#download-form or you can contact us on 0300 555 0333 or email us on [EMAIL="cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk"]cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk[/EMAIL].[/FONT]
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2016 at 4:10PM
    Trading Names ?

Business Name: Mis-sold Products Limited Address: 15 Brynymor Road
    Town/City: SWANSEA Postcode: SA1 4JQ County: Abertawe
    Trading Names: Lewis-Edwards, Elite Consultancy, M.S.P Legal Sector: Financial products/services Authorisation Number: CRM39883
    LegalBeagles
  • Hi,

I'll do my best to clarify some things. It's a claims management company, I mistakenly put down credit. RBS words were that the bank have taken a decision that we will no longer engage with that particular claims management company. As a result, we shall send all communications to you rather than Elkador finance. Assessment of the complaint will not be affected in any way by the banks decisions not to engage with elkador finance. They have stated that if I wish to discuss this further then I can call them which I will do.

I have never applied for PPI before and never had a claim rejected.

Thanks
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Hello Symbiosis16,

It might be better if you could give us a call to discuss the case and the options you might have. Our telephone number is 0300 555 0333.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure