Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Ouch, the sciatic nerve means business. I'm sorry to hear you're in pain and I hope the osteopath sorts it. There is nothing more important than health so it's totally worth the money!

Well done with the interest - and managing to hold out for the 5% rather than making an OP... I imagine it must be burning a hole in your virtual pocket! The PB win was good to... yes, not quite £1m, but still a win :) We haven't had a win yet and we're getting a bit impatient watching the app tick down the days only to get "Sorry". I would be made up if one of us wins even £25 and I'm sure it'll happen one day :) Have you got it set to pay out the win or reinvest in more bonds?

Hope the Ukranian and RM issues get sorted soon for you. Good luck with the car too - forums are helpful places so hopefully DH will find the answer :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks Ch4rly - there was lots of encouragement in that post :)

You'll get there with the PBs - I know how disappointing it can be when it says no though! I get the pay out, so it will go to the OP fund when it's paid. The money I keep in PBs is the 40% I put away to cover tax, NI, student loan and pension contributions - so it's not 'my' money effectively. So any wins are definitely MINE! :D That being said, the fund will take a hit soon, as I'll be withdrawing to pay into pension and then the July tax bill. (DH has some money in them too and hasn't won anything - it's not just you! :) )
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    edited 5 April 2017 at 4:23PM
    Am struggling with the discomfort today :( Osteo wasn't sure what the problem was (which is worrying!), but acknowledged there was a problem. She's given me some stretches to do and will see me again in a week. Am getting very fed up of not being able to sit down comfortably.

In better news, there's lots of work coming my way again, from every direction. Unfortunately I think the Ukrainians were lying when they said they'd paid - it's been a week and the money hasn't arrived. I've told the debt collectors, so it's back in their court.

Not a lot going on MFW-wise - still waiting on payment from Ukraine before I commit the OP fund to an actual OP... Haven't done much in the way of surveying today as am just too fed up (and busy with work). DH is in charge of dinner tonight - he's had plenty of notice so it shouldn't be takeaway, but will almost certainly involve shopping as we don't have much in!

Had a rubbish response from RM surveys - apparently I'd accepted an invite to another programme but hadn't qualified as I wasn't the right postcode, so they've generously put me back on the panel waiting list.... I did no such thing, but I'm guessing it would be a bit odd/off to argue with them about this. :(

Things to be grateful for:
    * I still have my legs!
    * Neither Dr (seen today) nor osteo think it's anything 'serious'
    * Lots of work (to pay for osteo!)
    * Might go for a drive in the mini this evening (visiting a potential cattery)

Sorry, positivity will be back soon, I hope!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Sorry to hear about the sciatica Madvix, I also suffer and manage it with a combination of exercise and painkillers. I find if I don't exercise it gets worse-.pilates is particularly helpful for me.
  • themadvix
    Thanks BusyMee... although I'm not sure if it is sciatica now - I think the osteo would have sussed that out. I do think I need to do some muscle strength exercise though.

• themadvix
    Feeling much, much better today - have been able to sit down for much of the morning without being in too much discomfort. It's still there, but way better than it was. Have been doing some pilates too, from YouTube - thanks BusyMee.

Aaanyway... back to the money saving!

DH and I opened a joint Santa Lite account last night so we can get cashback on our mortgage payments. It was remarkably easy and the account showed instantly in my online banking... that doesn't seem right somehow! Have transferred mortgage and TV licence as the two DDs and payment for mortgage will cover minimum monthly pay in. So hopefully, after fees, that should net us ~£6/month.

We also visited a cattery last night. We've used one before, but had problems with it, but when we go away for more than a couple of days it's stressful (for me!) leaving the cats in the house by themselves - especially with the latest fashion of not peeing in the litter tray. While not intentionally money-saving, I think we'll save £1.50 per day using the new cattery (which seemed good and the lady very nice) over the cat sitter (who we'll continue to use for shorter breaks).

We're off to Ikea tonight - need some new doormats (ref: cats pee above!) and so we'll be eating there for free :)

Have had loads of work yesterday and today, so things seem like they're back on a more even keel. Am eagerly awaiting the arrival of TSB RS interest, due to be paid tonight - I know how to have fun! ;)

Things to be grateful for:
    * Pain in leg is reduced
    * Gorgeous sunny day (washing is on line)
    * Ikea tea later for date night :rotfl:
    * Watching the ospreys :)

Have a good afternoon all!

• ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    I'm glad to hear the back's on the mend. Here's hoping it continues to improve :)

Well done on the inadvertent cattery saving and cashback account.. as they say, every little helps. I know what you mean about it being hard to find a good cattery. We found a great one near Holmfirth, but now my mum is in a position to stay at our house to look after him so we don't need it but if it ever is needed again, I would go to her every time. We found a great one in Nottingham too when we lived there, and it makes so much difference. Believe it or not, the cat sulks with us after he's been in a cattery (or not had what he deems to be enough treats!) so I can tell if he's had a good time or not. It really helps to put your mind at rest and enjoy the holiday more when you know your cat's beign taken care of well :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • themadvix
    Well today has just been one of those days! Faster payments wasn't working this morning when I was trying to sort accounts out (including moving annual interest around and monthly money shuffle and opening new accounts). I gave up in the end but have just sorted it all out.

Now we have a Santa lite a/c we qualify for a 5% RS, so have opened that to transfer some of my buffer fund into. The most of the rest is either in TSB a/c or moving slowly into a Nw RS from an account earning 0.75% - it's not great but it's not bad for instant access and it's straightforward to deal with.

Have finally settled my cc bill from last month - had to 'borrow' from buffer fund, but that's what it's there for. The way things are going with work, paying it back next month should be fine. :) Will be making an OP tomorrow - I've run out of steam now!

Sold a couple of small bits on the bay, so money in the pot there and have cashed out again on Prolific, so when that arrives it can start the next OP fund.

JL rang to book in carpet delivery today - hoo-flippin'-ray!! I hadn't received the vouchers promised, so asked about them. They'd been sent 2 days previous. Had a phone call shortly after I'd spoken to JL, from my Dad, who'd just signed for.... you guessed it... the JL vouchers. I was not impressed... Having checked the address for delivery of the carpet (which was correct), I can only assume that they're holding old data on me that they shouldn't have now. I will be writing to them about this. But not today...

The final frustration was dealing with some formatting issues on a piece of work. In the end I gave up and dealt with what I needed to and sent it back as it was formatting-wise. Like I said, it's been one of those days!

In better news, things seem to be moving on with RM surveys :) I've got my log in and have been sent the instructions, just waiting for the bits in the post now.

Looking forward to a stir fry and a relaxing evening now :) Hope everyone has a good weekend :)

• themadvix
    Work very busy so just a quick update this morning.

*£25 from PB win into OP fund
    *£20.99 Prolific into OP fund
    *£5 FB sale ditto
    * Won £63 on the National on Saturday - bets came from money in account for previous years (we always do this!). Left £40 in there for next year and had a takeaway with winnings (eked out over two days of course). Will add difference (~£5) to OP fund.
    * 70p VB survey yesterday (and probably others)
    * had all the bits for the RM survey :D including my first set of stamps :)

Still haven't made OP, still waiting to receive money from Ukraine, and figure it's still earning 5%, so not to worry too much. All new accounts now set up and earning me interest on my buffer fund. The interest will be OP'd as I can't get better interest than 3% in accounts I'm prepared to have (ethical reasons for not touching Tesco, even though I know I'd be taking money off of them!).

Gratitudes:
    * Gorgeous weekend - had a lovely long walk on Saturday with DH, with a pub drink afterwards.
    * Cuddles with niece very briefly yesterday
    * Got everything I hoped to get done at the weekend as well as all the fun stuff (thanks Chinese GP for getting us up early!)
    * Seeing osteo today - leg not better :(
    * Sunshine again today :)

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Good luck at the osteo and I hope you get sorted! Take care! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback