Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 16 November 2012 at 5:30PM in Insurance & life assurance
articlealert.gif
This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on
MoneySupermarket’s Insurance Comparison
Please first read the
Cheap Car Insurance or Cheap Home Insurance articles
Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance Home Insurance Feedback
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• beardiedog
    Options
    MoneySupermarket is cheapest for me so far, then confused. Saving of £50 with M&S over my current insurers Budget with exactly the same benefits and the quoted price includes everything. By paying an extra £8 I can reduce my excess from £250 down to £100. Gonna see if I can get any cashback deals now and see if I can reduce it any further. I'm over 50 and the likes of Saga have failed to come up with a better deal than other companies.
  • IceHockeyHair
    Options
    you need to be careful with moneysupermarket because they don't ask all the questions that affect your price.

So they can appear the cheapest, but when you call the insurer to take out the policy they ask you the extra questions and the price goes up. Bit sneaky of moneysupermarket if you ask me
  • beardiedog
    Options
    After linking through to M&S I checked that all the correct answers had been transferred across before I went ahead. No cashback gimmicks like other insurers just an upfront quote with everything included, it's up to you then remove anything you don't require.
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    MoneySuperMarket is a nightmare site...avoid at all costs - obviously this is an impartial opinion but - they do not ask the right questions, their rates and products are usually out of date and the information you leave with them is always passed on to third party advertisers...

there are so many better alternatives.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • getlost1234
    Options
    I just did a quote and reduced my bill from £422 (from norwich union) to £309 (esure). The only change I made, that I will probably should check with Norwich Union to give them a chance to price match, is the value of the car as it has gone down year on year.

Probably worth noting that as insurance companies tend to pay out based on the value of the car for right off's rather than what you said it was on your policy and paid for.

PS recent experience with insurance companies when making a claim is that all the big insurers have subsiduary businesses responsible the repairing for claiments i.e your precious porche or what ever you desire wll be repaired by the insurer who does not provide as good a repair as the manufacturers (although they do happen to be cheaper). Also, if you decide to get it repaired by your cars manufacturer then the insurance company will pay you (minus your excess) the amount it would cost them to repair, hence leaving you with a large billand all the responsiblities of managing the repair logistics.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found the cheapest quote in my renewal search but it's higher excess and only a tenner cheaper than my bank's special offer and I trust the bank more. Also MoneySupermarket has a very restrictive list of occupations and it seems to be using an address file that's over a decade out of date, showing long-abolished counties. Not a good sign.
  • bluesp
    Options
    I've just been on moneysupermarket.com and got some quotes. I chose one after some time of comparing. I then filled out a lengthy quote form, only to be told right at the end that there was not sufficient information to quote me and that I had to phone the company. I find this ludicrous, as I have no irregularities on my quote form. I am as normal as they come. There was no reason to not let me proceed. I went for another quote and the same thing happened. This is just a watse of my time and false advertising as far as I'm concerned. If they really think it will lure customers to phone up so that they can sales ptich to them, they are very wrong in this case.
  • kim_wilson
    Options
    I used moneysupermarket & through AA saved a staggering 80% (£128.15) on my home contents insurance renewal, switching from Direct Line to Homesure (Zurich)! Better cover & lower excess too. Price included £20 extra saving, for allowing them to quote for my car policy renewal.
  • batcatz
    batcatz Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I reduced my car insurance from £368 to £184 via Money supermarket comparison site. I tried all the other comparisons listed and M>rethan was by far the cheapest.

I then went via Quidco to M>rethan and ran another quote for Women's Car Insurance and also normal car insurance. Got it down to £179 (normal) and Women's was £184. I chose the Women's because I should get £65 cashback from quidco, which reduces my car insurance to £119. Excellent saving, thanks Martin!!

I noticed my car insurance was going up by £20 plus per year.

I have also got much better cover... eg. courtesy car
  • LazySaver
    Options
    I've attempted to use Money Supermarket but found, after going through the whole process and looking at a few quotes, that it was a waste of time:
    1. It can't cope with any modifications (we have a MPV with tinted windows which DOES count as a modification - as do alloys, unless they aren't an option)
    2. It can't cope with the registered owner/proposer not being the main driver. We have 2 cars both in my name but my wife is the main driver on one of them

I've used confused several times and it's been cheaper in the past but not the last 2 years - Now my renewal notice (esure) is better (by quite a long way).

The other thing I've found is that Car insurers just can't cope if you have a motorbike accident - They insist that you declare it as 'a loss' but you can only list it as a car accident (so you get loaded for something that is not related to the insurance being asked for)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure