Smarty

Options

Comments

• slb2008
    slb2008 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed their terms state "You may also be able to upload and send your own content using our service. You grant us an irrevocable, royalty free,
    perpetual and worldwide licence to store, transmit or otherwise deal with any content you upload
    ."

Interestingly Three's own terms have an almost identical statement "You may also be able to upload and send your own content using Three Services. You grant us an irrevocable, royalty free, perpetual and worldwide licence to store, transmit or otherwise deal with any content you upload on Three Services."

Perhaps it is intended to apply to content uploaded to a public forum they host but it does seem rather ambiguous. As you say though, encryption will limit what they can do.
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    so far particular MVNO had decent (mixed) reviews
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/smarty.co.uk
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Capping is only important to a smallish number of people. The fact that it is essentially as PAYG service will make it attractive to those who find it difficult to gat a SIMO contract. The ability to buy additional data as you go is particularly useful for new smartphone users with no idea of how much data they will be using. That on it's own is a strong USP in my eyes

My understanding is that you will top up and buy additional data via their online dashboard so no queues. I'm sure there are millions of customers who never roam nor make international calls. Approx 30% pf the population don't even hold a passport

Capping is not confined to PAYG. I have my extra spend on my BT Mobile contract capped at £40.

I will most likely move to Smarty when my BT contract ends in July 2018. Currently my problem is data usage which fluctuates widely: For example my data usage for December 2017 was 6.3 GB but my data usage in January 2018 was 344 MB. On my 4GB BT Mobile plan that meant an extra spend in December and wasted data in January.

For me the Smarty 8 GB £15 plan ticks all my requirements boxes including unlimited calls and texts. Lack of roaming isn't a problem. I previously looked at the data rollover with ID Mobile but the Smarty offering looks a better deal.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With Smarty it's the work of moments to buy an additional data allowance which then remains on your account until used. I.e. Your normal monthly data gets used first (and re-credited where appropriate, if you run out then you use the additional pot of data you have bought.
  • Anthorn
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    With Smarty it's the work of moments to buy an additional data allowance which then remains on your account until used. I.e. Your normal monthly data gets used first (and re-credited where appropriate, if you run out then you use the additional pot of data you have bought.

Already worked that out.

It's pretty much swings and roundabouts stuff though. I can buy extra data for £1.25p per GB or I can sell data at £1.25p per GB. But buying credit saves me from having to keep and eye on my data usage and it's good that the credit doesn't run out. I don't know at this stage whether Smarty sends out a notice when data is running low.
  • pmduk
    edited 24 February 2018 at 8:00AM
    Options
    I've only run low once in the early days, I was keeping a close track on it and had bought data well before running out. I didn't receive a message, but they seem proactive at messaging for other things eg an email a week before your plan ends etc. Why not try their support and ask? It's open 8 am til 8 pm.
  • Anthorn
    Options
    Received a smarty sim today for my secondary phone and it went well. Installed the sim today at 1605, went online to activate it and it was activated at 1650 approx. The only eyebrow raiser was that the FAQ on moving to a different phone needing a different SIM card suggests using one of the other cards from the pack. I took that to mean that there would be three SIM cards but there was in fact a multi-sim which most of us will be acquainted with.
    If you’ve changed your device and you need a different type of SIM card to the one you’ve been using, take a look at the card we sent you when you first joined SMARTY.

We sent you a card with 3 types of SIM card attached to it (standard, micro and nano).
    You can just use one of the other 2 kinds of SIM right away and carry on as normal.
    https://help.smarty.co.uk/a-guide-to-smarty-sims/changed-your-device-and-need-a-different-sim

Only a little eyebrow raiser though.

Just waiting for my number to port now which should take a few days in consideration that it's now the weekend

Still planning to get a smarty sim for my main phone assuming that I can have more than one account.
  • pmduk
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »

Still planning to get a smarty sim for my main phone assuming that I can have more than one account.

IIRC that isn't a problem, but you need to use a different email for each SIM.
  • annasun
    annasun Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    anyone use smarty mobile?

Saw it advertised on tv.

Thank u
  • pmduk
    Options
    I've been happily using it since it started last year when it started, without any issues. The main things to be aware of it runs on the 3 network (in fact it's owned by them,) international calls and roaming are only due to start next month, and customer service is by online message only between 8 am and 8 pm daily, but in my experience, is efficient.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback