Co-op Bank security questions

Options
I've just called them to request a new card. In the queue I had to type in the whole account number and sort code. The first operator then asked me for my full name and the and the expiry date and last 6 digits of the card number. She then ordered the card, which took around five minutes. Then she told me that I had insufficient security on my account. I had to give my full name again, then full address, then make up a four digit code that I would remember.

I was then passed to another operator, who wanted a memorable name I had given previously. She then asked me for the name of my last school, entered the information and passed me to a third operator. She asked me for a four digit code which could be or not be the one I had just given, the name of my last school, my memorable name from before, my place of birth, then the name of my first school!

At this point I lost my rag a bit and said it seemed more like data theft than bank security. There have never been any issues on the account and they hadn't contacted me about security before. I appreciate that they have to keep my money safe but does anyone else find this a bit ridiculous?

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    This is the standard telephone banking registration, I agree it's a pain. It is optional though.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have to answer the questions truthfully (apart from name and address)! As long as you can remember the answers you gave.
  • steve65e
    steve65e Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    dj1471 wrote: »
    This is the standard telephone banking registration, I agree it's a pain. It is optional though.

Thankyou. I wasn't told I was doing telephone banking reg but I'm sure that you are right. She told me that there was 'insufficient security on my account' and that I had to do it. Strangely, I have managed to call them previously and get done what I needed to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure